PG conversion - welding up the receiver holes ?

After completing the PG conversion, I am left with the now-redundant sporter trigger pin holes in the receiver. For those of you who weld up these unwanted holes, how do you do it ? Obviously, TIG welding is best, and that is what I plan to do, but how exactly ?

- Back the holes with a copper plate, then fill in with welding rod ?

- Cut matching disks of steel and weld them in place ?

- Something else ?

Share your wisdom with me :D

Use a good welding rod only; start your pool at the edge and fill in the hole by snaking back and forth. Practice on some matching scrap and watch your heat. It's not hard, you just got to practice.

Aloha

I know you were specifically asking about welding the holes shut, but honestly I seen no need for it. The black nylon 3/16" hole plugs from the local hardware store honestly match the finish perfectly, they stay in tight, and they look identical to factory rivets. All for around $2 and little effort.

I have clamped a piece of aluminum to the back of the hole and used a mig welder for the front. Low amperage and high wire speed. I can check my settings if need be. I use a die grinder with 3m pads to smooth it out. Attached are some pics for your viewing please:)

DSCN1448.JPG

DSCN1447.JPG

DSCN1449.JPG

Thanks guys. As I will have the TIG running for the trigger guard anyway, I thought I'd give the holes a try. I have an old lump of copper I think will do the job. I'll practice a few times on 1/16" sheet first, just to be safe.

Once done, I'll try to post pics (if there are no pics in a few days, you'll know its all gone horribly wrong :eek: ).

THose pics look like you need grinding inside the receiver. you shouldnt need to do that. I wouldnt do this with a MIG, thats just me

What do you want for a 5 minute trial:)

I had the aluminum lightly clamped, that is why there is some slag on the inside. If the buck was flush, there wouldnt be any there. I usually use copper bus bar for bucking welds, but my garage is a mess and I cant find anything in there:)

OK, I did it. I backed each hole with a copper block, then I used my TIG welder to add metal using hand-held MIG wire. My weld-fu is not the strongest, so the welds look pretty crappy, but they should be solid. My Dremel work is also not all it could be, so I'll be relying heavily on the masking ability of whatever BBQ paint I use :D . Here are some pics of the process:

487790.JPG

487792.JPG

487794.JPG

487795.JPG

487796.JPG

YOu have some small gaps on the edges of your weld, just fire up the welder again and fill those in an grind down. Flap discs work well for this

Yeah, I saw that. I'm too lazy to go over them again, so I'm going to rely on the Rustoleum to minimize the cosmetic impact. Hell, the gun is hardly a work of art, and one could argue these dimples add character :lol: .

I have clamped a piece of aluminum to the back of the hole and used a mig welder for the front. Low amperage and high wire speed. I can check my settings if need be. I use a die grinder with 3m pads to smooth it out. Attached are some pics for your viewing please:)

DSCN1448.JPG

DSCN1447.JPG

DSCN1449.JPG

Wow, that looks good. What kind of 3M pads did you use?