What makes for a good tranaction?

What makes for a good transaction?

Putting this out there for the forums collective intelligence.

Any stumbling blocks people have encountered?

Best ways/worst ways to ship.

Payment method and options....

Anything out of the ordinary that made a transaction good or bad?

Perhaps with the shared knowledge, we can make this the best buy/sell section on the web!

Thanks for you input.

An exchange of pictures (of the items for sale) and personal contact info (email address and phone number in case the board goes down for any reason, or one party has an unexpected computer problem.) makes for a good start to a smooth transaction. Also prompt payment and steady contact with the other party til the deal is done.

More importantly, KEEP YOUR WORD! If you make a deal with someone it is a binding verbal and even written contract. Changing your mind afterwards and selling your item out from under someone who has spent valuable time in correspondance with you about it is WRONG!

Hint hint...jS*** ! :killer:

When you are dealing with someone far away and only know them from online communications, your word and your reputation means EVERYTHING. Trust is all the other guy has to go on.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as rating a transaction goes, I like to be descriptive. A numerical record of good feedback is a good thing though, when forum tools allow it.

Lots of people do lots of things right, each in their own way. Even if we don't agree 100% with everything the other person does, if they follow through on their end and are honest and responsible I feel that the feedback should be positive. To me, neutral feedback belongs with people who are negligent of something, or generally mentally absent or inconsiderate but not dishonest. Negative feedback belogs with people who disregard rules, don't follow through on agreements, are grossly negligent, dishonest, or even approaching thieving. Actual outright thievery to me deserves something beyond a simple negative feedback rating.

For example, I'd be inclined to leave feedback blank for a buyer who was belated but came through in the end, unless the delay was severe and the details left me in a difficult position.

If a buyer committed and then backed out promptly due to not having his finances straight or not clearing it with the wife, I'd give that a neutral since this is a classified board, not an auction, which would need stricter rules, and there can be other people already in line.

The mildest example of something deserving negative feedback would be selling an item after promising it to someone else just as Cobra described, or backing out of a deal you committed to just because you found something else out there. Also if you ask for specialized effort or patience for payment based on a firm commitment from you and then back out, I'd call that negative too.

There are of course just my thoughts.

Further thoughts on "backing out." Sometimes you have to based on a real life emergency or a developing distrust of the seller or his items. In most arenas, ie auction sites and real estate, backing out is severely penalized no matter what. A classified board is one of the only places you can back out without automatic administrative consequences. Don't abuse it. If you want to have the opportunity to get good deals, and if you want a community where sellers hold to their commitments, do your part by following through. "Oh crap, I shouldn't have spent that much money, even though it was a great deal" isn't the same thing as a hurricane squashing your house between the time you commit to buy and the time you get a money order in the mail.

You could think of it this way - in classified boards, the world doesn't revolve around you and all the things you weigh in your life when making decisions. You have to consider all those things before posting something for sale or saying "I'll take it."

Edited by BattleRifleG3

I would encourage both parties, buyer and seller, to leave feedback. It's a courtesy and it's the final stage of a transaction here. While on the one hand its nice when each party knows if the other is satisfied, it's also helpfull for other members. It is possible for one party to be happy and the other not, so just seeing the feedback from one side of the transaction doesn't tell a complete story.

Honest feedback is always deserved, positive or negative, so just leave feedback.