TAPCO G2 Hammer too wide?

I have the modified TAPCO G2 FCG that BattleRifleG3 sells for unconverted Saigas, and I fought the beast long and hard this weekend! I finally gave up and compared the new to the old, and lo and behold, the hammer assembly of the G2 is maybe 1/16 - 3/32 wider than the stock one. Wide enough that, while I can get it into the rifle, I can't get enough clearance for the retaining "wire" to fit into the pin.

Has anyone seen this before? I guess I need to get my stones and just grind a bit off both sides, yes?

TIA!

Bill

It never ceases to amaze me how many people buy parts they heard about on here and start to working on their Saigas without even taking a few minutes to read the many threads telling exactly how to do just about anything that can be done to these guns :rolleyes:

Sorry I'm not trying to be a smartass. It's just that it has been said 5 million times on here in just about every different forum that in order to use the Tapco G-2 in a Saiga with a BHO you HAVE to grind a little off the RIGHT HAND side of the hammer to allow the extra room required.

...in order to use the Tapco G-2 in a Saiga with a BHO you HAVE to grind a little off the RIGHT HAND side of the hammer to allow the extra room required.

The BHO is definitely a pain to install (it took me 30 minutes, first try, instead of five or fewer minutes for a standard US-legal AKM FCG, and that was AFTER I modified my 'compliance' hammer to clear the BHO... ;>) - BUT IT'S DEFINITELY WORTH IT, IMHO! I love that little widget...

;>)

It never ceases to amaze me how many people buy parts they heard about on here and start to working on their Saigas without even taking a few minutes to read the many threads telling exactly how to do just about anything that can be done to these guns :rolleyes:

Mea culpa!

You're right! I've read plenty of other things about mods, I installed Dinzag's wonderful bullet guide, figured out how to mod my Orlites and stock mags, but didn't think to search on this one, since it seemed like it shoulda been a "drop in" dealio!

And, so that's what the silver plate is on the right side whose spring is such a PITA to deal with! Next time I take her down to put the new stuff, I'm putting a slave pin right right behind the one I take out!

Thanks, all, and esp. Tony (I get to use my new micrometer! woo-hoo!), who took pity on this semi-n00b!

Bill

And, so that's what the silver plate is on the right side whose spring is such a PITA to deal with!

Amen to that, Compadre - but it's worth it (IMHO)...

;>)