Other .308 mag options

well your best bet is the FBMG 20 rounders for your .308.

At one time BattleRifleG3 was working on a mod that would let you use G3 mags in your Saiga .308 but i think due to school taking up most of his time he hasn't been able to put the time into them. Pics of the prototype are on this forum somewhere just do a quick search.

well your best bet is the FBMG 20 rounders for your .308.

At one time BattleRifleG3 was working on a mod that would let you use G3 mags in your Saiga .308 but i think due to school taking up most of his time he hasn't been able to put the time into them. Pics of the prototype are on this forum somewhere just do a quick search.

I'm pretty sure I read before that the G3 mags were too wide and would not work without extensive modification to your rifle. Some people have made M14 style mags work. I chose to use the FBMG mags.

My mag mod is on the shelf, but is basically developed. It allows mildly modified G3 mags to work in a heavily modified S-308, including a significant piece of hardware. The advantage is that the mags will still work in a G3. I developed my conversion during the now expired ban, when modified hi-caps had to still work in the original gun to be legal.

M14 mags require less modification to the rifle, but more modification per mag.

M14 mags require less modification to the rifle, but more modification per mag.

That's the kicker. Do you want your rifle to be able to use the factory mags or not?

So, BRG3, any plans to make any of the adapters? There may be some out there that are still interested in it.

I've got parts kit info for sale thru e-bay or contact me at sggrosso@comcast.net. Have evrything but the base plate retainer (or spring guide). Of course e-bay wouldn't let me sell 20 round mags upfront, thats why the listing is for an info kit to get my e-mail, etc. The part kit itself has an FBMG 20 round mag body, spring, aluminum base plate and composite follower. They work, just not as pretty as an FBMG mag unless you paint the base plate black. I'm looking for an aftermarket base plate retainer or spring guide to order in bulk, but no luck yet. I'll get some pics up soon. They're $45 with shipping included right now. I'll continue to do lots of 50 after the first 100 go if there is interest and FBMG continues to lag in their production. I'm waiting for Tony Rumore's (Tromix) base plates, did the first 50 myself, and they were ok but just WECSOG quality-most of those are taken already anyway.

If I get to actual full mag production-ie painted base plates, retainer included, hole drilled in correct spot on base plate, assembled ready to shoot; the cost is going to be about $55-$60 with shipping. I mention this because I've had some criticism of the cost for an aftermarket mag, but keep in mind, this just started out as a few guys wanting some mags when the real ones weren't available. I thought there might be some interest despite the pending FBMG mags in production. I don't run a regular shop, got all the air and hand electric tools and a welder, but I contract out any real machine work, so it costs $$.

Speaking of FBMG, visited recently and James Bunten told me he's making only 2000 mags at this time-I don't know if that's a lot or too little, just FYI. No news on production progress from him.

Steve Grosso

sggrosso@comcast.net

Woods Cross, UT

Edited by sggrosso