Replacing the handguard question

So I bought a Tapco Saiga Galil Style handguard (matches all the other Tapco stuff I have) for my 7.62x39. What is the "proper" thing to do w/ the long GB pin that retains the original Saiga handguard? Cut it off? Drive it out and replace w/ some other pin? I realize both may be options, but what is the accepted "standard"?

• 1 month later...
So I bought a Tapco Saiga Galil Style handguard (matches all the other Tapco stuff I have) for my 7.62x39. What is the "proper" thing to do w/ the long GB pin that retains the original Saiga handguard? Cut it off? Drive it out and replace w/ some other pin? I realize both may be options, but what is the accepted "standard"?

I'm interested in other peoples take on this question also.

Good gosh, 111 views and no one can post the answer? Come on guys (and Gals) a little help here?!?!?!?!? :evil:

The reason I''m asking is so far I could go back to the original form (with a little work on the trigger plate!) and it would be easier to return to the original handguard if I replace the pin instead of cutting it off. It looks unfinished to just leave it there and I'm sure I'll hurt myself w/ it if I just leave it like it is. . .

I don't know the "right" answer, but I'd recommend you retain the option to put the original handguard back on. You may find down the road that you want a custom handguard like Devin or Cobra76 do -- then you'll want that pin.

Jim