Reducing length of 12c barrel to 18.5".....

i cut mine to 18.5 inches which gave me an improved cylinder bore **.720"** and i found that in order to feed and eject low brass field load shells i needed to move the gas setting to 2 , **the low power setting**, i usually kept it on the high power setting **1** always......i have a "buffer tech" buffer in it so shooting high power shells after moving the gas setting seemed to work fine also ....

i was concerned about this before cutting but all is well and i've run about 100 rounds of mixed power shells thru it since cutting it....just move your gas setting and get a buffer....you'll be fine...

Also, Saiga's have been converted to SBS's with success (no mag tube to limit how short you want to go). One report has the bbl being cut back to the handguard!

I don't know which gas setting, or if a buffer was in place.

I've asked for pics, and I'll post them here when they come.

Gunfighter84 that used to post here often is the only member here that I know of that actually played with barrel lenghts...

He said that the Russians had found in their tests that 14" is the shortest you can go and still have constant functionability.

Gunfighter84 came up with the same conclusions during his experiments and said that below 14" he started having reliability problems.

If you cut the barrel down to the foregrip ( even though it does look good ) you will be WAY below 14" and you will have cycling problems.

PS: MAKE SURE that BEFORE you cut your barrel shorter than 18" that you

fill out the proper paperwork with the ATF AND pay the $200 tax. Once you receive your $200 tax Stamp from the ATF you can perform the saw job on your shottie :up: