First Post - New .223 plans

A friend of mine years back owned a .223 AK, with skeleton stock and I really liked shooting it.

So I purchased my .223 Saiga last weekend.

Gilbert's Guns makes the skeletonized stock that looks like the Saiga item on the .308. What if any restrictions are placed on adding this to my Saiga, along with a scope rail & optics? Any, None?

First post, and have been having a lot of fun reading through the archive.

Okay -

I have the Gilbert's stock.

Also a scope rail and rings

And the Galil / AR15 Mag converter.

Haven't put it together yet. I almost ordered the Saiga Galil handguard. Will probably get it this weekend.

AS I asked before, any issues with 922 putting this together?

Thanks.

Yankee-V

Not to be taken as 100% authoritative, but since the stock is not a folder or retractable, it seems it would be OK, as would the handguard. The AR mag adapter could be a problem if you stick a mag capable of holding more than 10 rounds in it, but if you stay at 10 or less, should be OK.

Bill

I'm still learning, so whatever I tell you, may be wrong.

I think you would be ok if the stock is US made, but you'd have to swap out the FCG, piston and handguard for us made parts as well. Then you should be able to use full capacity magazines as well - depending on where you live.

Ok, so I added the US made skeleton stock & a US made handguard.

I bought the Galil/AR15 mag adapter from RapidFire. So. if I get the mag adapter to work, and use US made AR15 mags (more than 10 rounder) that's 5 US parts since the mag can be viewed as 3 parts. Or am I missing the big picture?

I built a FAL some years back, and the key was keeping to a certain threshold of key foreign parts. Is there a similar magic number for the Saiga? On the FAL I beleive it was 10

Ok, so I added the US made skeleton stock & a US made handguard.

I bought the Galil/AR15 mag adapter from RapidFire. So. if I get the mag adapter to work, and use US made AR15 mags (more than 10 rounder) that's 5 US parts since the mag can be viewed as 3 parts. Or am I missing the big picture?

I built a FAL some years back, and the key was keeping to a certain threshold of key foreign parts. Is there a similar magic number for the Saiga? On the FAL I beleive it was 10

As long as you don't add a non-US pistol grip, you're good to go!

Bill

YEssssss.... That's what I wanted to hear

Thanks to all who responded so far.

Will post a couple pics when I get the converter fit to my satisfaction.

YV

Quick question, is the Galil mag adapter you got milled? Found a couple of them milled on gun broker for a little more than what Ohio RapidFire has them for...

Seg,

http://rapidfire.targetweb.net/cgi-bin/sto...&ppinc=big#

It appears to be cast with some of the edges milled maybe. I was wondering if someone could provide a drawing with dimensions of where to remove material and how much, from the inside of the mag-well and the outside of the converter. Pretty sure that's asking someone to do a lot of work though.

YV