9x18 vs. 7.62x25

$140 vs. $100

-----------------------

Which is better??

The Makarov is what.. 9mm??

Which is easier to get ammo for, the M or the CZ?

Which one is more accurate?

Which one is most reliable?

-----------------------

I know a lot of you guys have experience with both. Well, AIM surplus has damned good deals. So, I'm wondering if maybe I should get one or the other? Or, if I should just stick to trying to find a .45 pistol. What do you think?? How do these pistols compare?? And, how do they compare to .45? Thx.

I've shot the markorov, and loved it!!! I beleive I shot a 7.62 X somethin' chinese gun when I was younger, it had a LOT of recoil and almost flipped out of my hand.

the markorov is smooth, there's no reason any one shouldn't get it. the 9X18 round seems dinky though. depends on what you're usin it for. for the price everyone should get one.

The Mexican red star 45 was the last 45 I shot, and was OK! J&G sells them for $100 or so.

http://www.jgsales.com/

I researched the x25 online, and someone said it's almost like a .44?

So.. Does that mean it's about like a .45? (in terms of stopping power against a human)

Obviously I am buying a pistol only for ONE reason: Shooting HUMANS! (or aliens in human skins..:P HAHAHA)

So, the x25 is more powerful than the 9x18, right?

I bought a CZ52 this past summer and like it alot. The 7.62x25 is similar to a .30 cal round, ammo is a little expensive here but isn't too hard to find at the gun shows. Gotta tell ya, the CZ52 packs some serious punch and would stop anyone in their tracks. I've also got a 1911A1 and while I wouldn't surrender it for the CZ52, the CZ52 does get peoples attention when you fire it. They're great handguns in my opinion and would be a great addition to your collection. I'm seriously thinking on getting the 9x18 Makarov one of these days. I think the Makarov would be a great little conceal and carry weapon.

CX-52 can be converted to 9mm for $75=$80 for new barell, plus however many mags that you want to work in 9mm(takes a little tinkering with feed lips-just mark the 9mm mags ) The conversion takes 60 seconds and is no different from normal take down,just use the barell and mag for the calliber that you want to shoot!

G O B

the CZ52 conversion to 9mm is not worth it. the barrel is thin and it would not handle +p or +p+ ammo.

just search user name clark on thehighroad.org or cross cz52 with his name.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?...ight=clark+cz52

clark has posted all over the place he is something of a mad scientist with handloading

use group section of and google clark magnuson can see some crazy experiments.

I would go with the Makarov myself they are solid if you want you can convert to 380acp

7.62x25 is a .30 cal bullet pushing 1300-1600fps its got good energy.

couldnt find out from looking online what gr bullet they use in 7.62x25 found 88gr didnt look for load data.

its nothing really impressive 9mm +p+ with 115gr can get to 1300fps thats .355 cal faster with lighter bullets

357sig uses .355 bullets and does 1300fps 115gr/125gr bullet

40S&W can send a 135gr bullet at 1450-1500fps. the energy for all calibers upper speeds are about the same though 40S&W can take the lead.

some bad 7.62x25 ammo out too

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Gorge/4653/bad.htm

7.62x25 is nothing super. small and fast.

Edited by mrapathy2000

What does it mean when it says "Minimum 03 Collectors FFL Required." to buy the CZ52 from AIM Surplus?

Does that mean I personally need a FFL? Or, have to just ship it to FFL?

I'm thinking about buying one of these .. they're only $100.

How does this FFL thing work??

The 03 FFL is a C&R license.

I have a CZ52 myself, and I am very happy with it. It is a full size pistol, and it is all steel so it is somewhat heavy. In my area, 7,62 Tok is harder to find than 9x18, but you an always order it online and have it shipped to you.

The CZ-52's recoil is very modest. It is still more than a 9mm, and there is a lot more muzzle rise, but it is still a very controllable pistol. I have heard it compared to a .40 S&W.

The muzzle blast and fireball are very impressive. It's just a bit quieter than a Mosin Nagant M44, and with Yugo surplus and S&B, I get somewhere around 8 inches of flame coming out of the barrel.

Also, this pistol has earned the reputation as a brass thrower. I have read about some peoples throwing brass more than 30 feet, but mine only ejects about 12 feet.

The accuracy of both pistols is supposed to be very good, and reliability is excellent for both as well, but if you have large hands, the CZ52 will fit them much better than the Mak.

My experience with the Makarov is limited to the one I held at J&G Sales before I decided on the CZ52 (I was once in a similar dilemma to you). The reason I went with the CZ52 instead was because the Makarov was such a small pistol, and because it took such a dinky round (betwen a 9mm Para and .380). I was more in the mood for a full sized service pistol with some umph to it, so I wnet with the CZ52.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong either way.