HC MAgs, Just a bullet guide?

Good question. I do not know the answer. But parts count, I believe, relates to the ORIGIN of the parts, not to the size of the magazine. If you want to put a pistol grip on a Saiga, then you must replace a certain number of Russian parts with American parts. But I have not put a pistol grip on my Saiga .308. My position is that if Saigas were legally imported, they do not become illegal by inserting a mag containing more than 10 rounds. But if anyone can cite a law or regulation which says this, I would be interested in seeing it. My Saiga was legally imported. My FBMG mags were legally produced and sold, so far as I know. I don't see how putting them together creates a problem. Tapco makes American hi-cap mags for the SKS but because the rifle must be disassembled and the internal mag removed, in order to use the Tapco mag, I believe it is legally questionable to do so. That is why Tapco sells a set of replacement parts to "Americanize" the SKS. The Saiga is entirely different, in my opinion, because it was designed to be used with detachable mags. If the purpose of federal law was to ban the importation of high capacity semi-automatic rifles, I think the legal importation of Saigas reveals a loophole. If the Feds want to plug that loophole, they can do so. But I do not believe this has occurred so far.

Monomonk

The mag is not part of the rifle.

Then why are magazine parts listed in the parts count for 922r?

More thoughts on this subject. I do not know that federal law claims that a detachable mag is part of the rifle. (A mag is an accessory, like a scope, not a firearm part.) I think the law is saying that in considering whether or not an imported rifle has been "Americanized," it will consider where the mag and its various components have been produced. In my opinion, it is a legal fiction to claim that a rifle is American made when using an American mag, whereas that same rifle becomes Russian when it has a Russian mag inserted into it. For reasons I do not know, the law has been written or interpreted to allow foreign hi-capacity rifles, including military rifles, to be imported. A clear example are the Romanian AKs, such as the WASR-2. These military-style rifles with pistol grips are made in Romania. Century Arms retains important parts such as the receiver, barrel, and stock, replaces the fire control group, and sells the rifle legally. Of course, the WASR-2 uses foreign made high capacity magazines for the 5.45 by 39 round. So I think we are dealing with convenient fictions here, fictions which allow Americans to buy and own foreign made military-style rifles which were supposed to be banned from import. Lucky us!

Monomonk

Edited by monomonk