Believe the S12 receiver cover is a different size than an AK rifle. Receiver cover scope mounts aren't generally regarded as the best way to go due to inability to maintain zero. You're probably better off using a scope mount that goes on the side rail. East Wave and others make some nice side rail scope mounts.

And welcome to the forum!

Believe the S12 receiver cover is a different size than an AK rifle. Receiver cover scope mounts aren't generally regarded as the best way to go due to inability to maintain zero. You're probably better off using a scope mount that goes on the side rail. East Wave and others make some nice side rail scope mounts.

And welcome to the forum!

Hmmmm, East Wave, eh? I'll have to check out once I finish up my conversion. Lordy, these conversions are hair-raising to say the least. Thank goodness for this site.

Edited by cheeseybacon
  • 2 months later...

Just saw this post since I am looking for a way to mount a Doctor Red Dot or Eotech Sight.

I have had very poor results with the use of a Russian Kobra 3 sight. The Gun does not cycle with the scope mounted on the receiver. The scope was also mounted to another s-12 with the same results, using light to heavy shot loads and slugs. I have sent this gun out for repair when it did not cycle only to receive it back 2 times with modifications to the bolt and gas systems, while all the while the mounting of the sight on the receiver was the main cause of the problem.

I am currently looking for a way to mount a Red Dot sight that does NOT utilze the side mount on the receiver. Anyone with suggestions? I have been preparing this gun to shoot in 3 Gun USPSA competion.

DSCF1519.jpg

how about this I have an NcStar and a CAA shotgun barrel mount the best thing about it is that I can still use my regular sights if I need to. Those AK dust covers stay away from them I have never seen any one have good luck with them.

Edited by topmaul
DSCF1519.jpg

how about this I have an NcStar and a CAA shotgun barrel mount the best thing about it is that I can still use my regular sights if I need to. Those AK dust covers stay away from them I have never seen any one have good luck with them.

Thanks for your input, I have decided to get a mount from Tony Rumore at Tromix,which mounts in the rear sight dove tail. I have decided get a Doctor Red Dot, I just don't want to add more weight than I have to, that is also why I am not puttin a Weaver rail on as one of the other options.

• 4 weeks later...
Just saw this post since I am looking for a way to mount a Doctor Red Dot or Eotech Sight.

I have had very poor results with the use of a Russian Kobra 3 sight. The Gun does not cycle with the scope mounted on the receiver. The scope was also mounted to another s-12 with the same results, using light to heavy shot loads and slugs. I have sent this gun out for repair when it did not cycle only to receive it back 2 times with modifications to the bolt and gas systems, while all the while the mounting of the sight on the receiver was the main cause of the problem.

I am currently looking for a way to mount a Red Dot sight that does NOT utilze the side mount on the receiver. Anyone with suggestions? I have been preparing this gun to shoot in 3 Gun USPSA competion.

3gunRJL, could you elaborate on how using the side mount caused the gun to not cycle? Can't think of how one has anything to do with the other.

Thanks