for either feedramp you can either choose to build one or buy one from K-var.com $11.99each and supposedly globaltrades.com price unknown.

or buy piece of pipe from hardware store for $1 thats right one dollar 100 cents or 20 nickels or 10 dimes or 4 quarters. +/- tax.

it is possible to build a feedramp for the 7.62x39 version saiga and use your stock saiga magazines without modifying the magazine. so you could insert a AK47 30 round mag and use the feedramp and switch back to the stock saiga mag with no worries.

unfortunately with feedramps from k-var you will no longer be able to use your stock saiga mags for either 223 or 7.62x39 versions. either try to modify them or sell them. I have modified both my 223 and 7.62x39 mags the 7.62x39 mag so far has proven to work flawlessly. your results may very. 223 version mags after modding have jammed and last round would not feed until I put a ramp on the follower with 2 part epoxy though still seems to jam some.

first modding a mil spec feedramp from k-var

you need to do two things do get this feedramp working in a saiga rifle.

tools needed:

dremel with cutting and grinding disk

file

drill press is nice though handdrill will do

tap to thread the hole or can forego and use a nut and bolt

first job

you need to cut out left portion of the feedramp because of a rivet which will be in your way from rear of the feedramp remove 10-11mm from the rear it will align to middle of the drill hole on the feedramp. from the width you want to remove 7mm. need to remove the ramp also.

one in process the other bone stock unmodified. left AK47 right 223

p1010002.jpg

afterwards should look like this. piece of pipe cut, 223,AK47

p1010013.jpg

second job

round the bottom of of the feedramp now you want to leave 4mm of the bottom square the rest you grind it round.

piece of pipe cut, 223,AK47

p1010014.jpg

information for building a feedramp.

when building a feedramp you want to use a 3/4" or 1"Outer Diameter.

the stock AK47/223 AK feedramp length is 12.5/16" or 20mm

the smaller section to the rear of the feedramp is 4mm long and thin enough

to fit under the trunion.

piece of pipe cut, 223,AK47

p1010013.jpg

width roughly the same 12.5/16" or 20mm. piece of pipe cut, 223,AK47

p1010011.jpg

top to bottom AK47,223,piece of pipe

p1010016.jpg

my 223 feedramp from k-var works great with AK74 mags and robarm followers. mag seats right under the feedramp. the same with AK47 mags.

I tried to create a feedramp for 223 version to use stock unmodified magazines and a piece of pipe feedramp I couldnt get it done. got it to where I had to remove upper part of the front mag catch protrusion flush to surround magazine. though after installing a feedramp from k-var I had to take file to saiga mag again and put it in spec with AK74 mag.

questions? will only respond as long as US compliance parts installed or in process of being installed.

by request more pics.

btw on 7.62x39 job make sure the bolt clears the screw nicely. would be disasterous if the bolt head grabbed the screw in a bad moment.

223 ramp installed

P101004.JPG

view from magwell can see the base of the feedramp small portion not ground round will make contact or come short of making contact with the magazine.

P101007.JPG

notice the left rail and how I cut the feedramp so it no longer interferes with the bolt head and the rivet.

P101009.JPG

yet another pic

P101011.JPG

yet another pic

P101015.JPG

I love thos Bakelite mags

P101016.JPG

mag not quite locked in

P101022.JPG

yet another pic

P101023.JPG

mag locked

P101019.JPG

my precious or my precious

P101031.JPG

I got a cheap rail/hand grip set off ebay. basicly stole 3 of them when the seller put them up for buy it now and seriously low price. paid more for shipping than them. but they work nice but were made in china and not built to spec. had to take a file to the recesses otherwise the other dimensions are compatible with weaver/picatinny accessories.

picatinny rail is best as it can take weaver and picatinny accessories. weaver rail will just take weaver.

the grip really is nice to have I was eyeing the tri rail AK handguard and going to AK handguards but was cheaper to just buy accessories and mod the mount. I put vent holes in the bottom of the handguard and side too.

paid $4.99 I guess for set of 3 rails and grips. though they dont list them anymore can buy them for $10. expect some filing though its easy rail is aluminum. btw they sell the same set for $20+ at a number of online stores.

Edited by mrapathy2000

you have to take a dremel and drill to get the rail on. it goes right where a ridge is on the otherside of the barrel I dremeled that flat only around the drill holes. used the rail holes as guide for the drill bit be carefull you dont ruin the rail holes if you use it as drill guide bit can remove the inside of the hole the bolt would catch to keep the rail attached.

I absolutely love the vertical foregrip