best scope for under 300 yards for 16" 223

I got me a tri-rail mount for my S-223 and am looking to get me a scope for shots out to 300 yards. I also plan to add a light and laser for quick, close targeting if necessary (Zombies at night). The nice thing about the tri-rail is that my iron sights are still viewable/usable, which is what I prefer out to 100 yards. I was thinking a cheap WalMart BSA scope would work well. Suggestions?

You want to mount the scope to the forearm hand-guard? or to the scope mount on the side?

You deffinitely get what you pay for with scopes. If you want something that will hold a zero, will ACTUALLY click 1/2-1/4 MoA when you click it, spend some money.

If you're mounting to the forearm, make sure you get a long eye relief shotgun/pistol scope. If you're mounting to a high-side mount, go with a 3-9x40 scope. 3x is close enough to acquire targets at 10yrds easily but powerful enough at 9x to see the 100yrds nicely.

post-6947-1194274694_thumb.jpg

post-6947-1194274700_thumb.jpg

post-6947-1194274773_thumb.jpg

If you want a scope use the side rail and a side mount. That is what it is there for.

IMO, most tri-rails are nothing more then a way to separate you from your money.

There is very little in the way of optics that my local Wal-Mart stocks that I would ever use.

If you want a side mount and scope all in one, consider one of the 4x24 POSP's for the AK. One has a 400m rangefinder, the other has a 1000m rangefinder. They are rugged (heavy too at roughly 25ozs for the scope and mount) and are available for under $130.00 for scope and mount complete.

I use Surefire G2 that I added a CREE LED Reflector Lamp Assembly. It is cheap, @ under $50 for both the G2 and LED module, so even though it is not a 'real' firearm light, I can replace it quickly with spares in case it goes TU. When I run with a light (which is not often), I attach it to a side rail on the left hand side of my handguards (I am right handed).

I do not use a laser, but if you want one, think about Insight's M6X, as it is both a light and laser in one. This could be attached on the bottom of your forend, if you are right handed, or on the right hand side of your handguard, if you are left handed.

These are my thoughts, YMMV.

Edited by RedFalconBill

My favorite is the PK-AS-S <--- link - read all it about it here.

Tantal say's it is the best optic they sell, period.

Tantal is the only vendor that sells these that I will recommend.

It isn't magnified but it is more than just a red dot.

These things are very clear.

It has a black 1 MOA dot and black circle that is always present.

Plus it has a variable red dot when you want it.

I have a 4x PSO and a 2.5-5x PSO, but I think I'd rather have this on the rifle any day.

reddot.jpg

Edited by Aloxite
My favorite is the PK-AS-S <--- link - read all it about it here.

Tantal say's it is the best optic they sell, period.

Tantal is the only vendor that sells these that I will recommend.

It isn't magnified but it is more than just a red dot.

These things are very clear.

It has a black 1 MOA dot and black circle that is always present.

Plus it has a variable red dot when you want it.

I have a 4x PSO and a 2.5-5x PSO, but I think I'd rather have this on the rifle any day.

reddot.jpg

That scope is sweet! What do those average $?

The PK-AS-S is not bad, but I do not like the fact that it is not centered over the bore. The PK-AS-W does center over the bore, but IMO, site too high over the AK. I DO like the always visable circle and dot idea, though. Real nice sight for those who can use it. Price is great, for what you get, too!

I thought DLT wanted a scope? If we are going to go with East-Bloc Red Dot Sights, I also like the PK-AV and the PK-01V(AA version).

The Kobra (the AA version or the 3rd Gen version) is not bad either, but is not really my cup of tea.

The Burris XTS 135 SpeedDot is Waterproof, Shockproof, has a 3 MOA dot, and is right around the same price ($199.99~$210.95). It is made in South Korea, though, not the US.

If you wanted to have a Red Dot Sight that is a good value, consider either the UltraDot 1" or the UltraDot 30mm. Both are under $140.00. They are rugged and reliable. I'm hesitant to put them in the same vein as the Burris, but are still good sights. They also have an UltraDot 4, which features four dot sizes in 4, 8, 12, and 16 MOA, for an additional $30-40.

Anyway, if DLT wants to stay with a magnified optic and go EastBloc, I say buy a BP-01 or BP-02 side mount, a PO 3.5x20 or 4x32 scope, a pair of medium Weaver style rings, or go with the 4x24 PSOP scope and mount I mentioned earlier. They are very good, doubly so with the price, and look 'right' on an AK (if that means anything).

If you are looking to save some $$, consider the the Gameseeker line from Pentax. These are Made in China line, but unlike so very much that comes from China, does not suck. This line gives you a lot for your money, just like Bushnell's Legend line of riflescopes, which is also Made in China.

For an AK/AR style scope, I like their 1.75-5x20 Riflescope. It is reliable, rugged, and is under $120.

Again, YMMV.

Edited by RedFalconBill