sights discussion

I'm pretty new to Saiga rifles but am pretty familiar with guns and sighting systems in general. The point of this post is to discuss several things about sighting systems available for the 7.62x39 Saiga rifle.

For me personally, I intend to use the rifle to hunt deer when I'm on drives or when in thicker cover where the shots won't be over 100 yards. My two biggest priorities for sights is fast target acquisition and minimal size and weight. I'm planning to get a Leapers mount and put a cheap red dot scope on (since I already have a scope sitting around). The total cost for this set-up should be under $100 easily for someone who doesn't have a scope already. I'm not interested in expensive alternatives as I'm generally a cheap guy. To me, the POSP scope is about as much as I'd spend - generally around $150 from what I've seen.

How are the POSP scopes for fast acquisition? That's my main priority - not terribly concerned with range as I don't feel confident in the rounds knock-down power over about 150 yds.

Any ghost ring sights available?

I've heard a turkey reticle is a good one for fast acquisition - any experience with this here?

Thanks

This is my free 2 cents.

I am just recently getting into AK rifles myself. The AR just was not a large and heavy enough bullet for my hunting needs. Anway, there are quite a few ways you can go about adding a red dot scope to your AK rifle. Some of the cheaper top cover mounts don't work well and shoot loose. Some of the receiver side mounts place the red dot too high and are not even centerd over the barrel. I think, if it doesn't work well, it is money wasted. But that is just my opinion and the logic I use to mount scopes to my guns. If you want fast target aquisition, try a forward mounted scope. I can recommend the Ultimak scout mount and a red dot scope. I use a ultimak scout mount and a Aimpoint clone on my AK rifle. It works very well. The forward scope mounts allow the use of both eyes open shooting and is fast, allows good field of vision and dead on accurate. The ultimak sits low and you can cowitness with the iron sights. I can use this to tell in a instant if my red dot has changed and re-zero the gun if it is not holding zero. My red dot has always held it's zero. I also plan to use my AK rifle to hunt deer later this year and I have been practicing fast aimed shots under 100 yards at various targets placed around the ranch. I have heard that AK rifles are not accurate, but I have found my Saiga rifle is quite accurate, defintely accurate enough for hunting even with the cheap Wolf ammo. I personally would not mount my red dot scope any other way.

picture of AK with ultimak scout mount setup:

vtakrobb3tr4.jpg

For a ghost ring type sight that can't be beat IMHO is the Mojo. http://www.mojosights.com/MicroClick.html

For a more economical model: http://www.mojosights.com/ak47_sks.html

I also ordered the optional smaller dia peep inserts. Tightened up my short range groups considerably.

One thing about changing rear sights on an AK is the fact that it is a royal PITA to do. Order an extra rear sight spring in case you bend yours out of spec while trying to remove the sight like I did. The Mojo just flopped up and down my first time because I pressed down to hard on it and took it's tension away. I ended up ordering a new spring and a special $20 tool for the job. The Campy sight tool: http://www.redstararms.com/