assalt weapons ban

It means that after installing US compliant parts you can add not only a pistol grip, but a flash suppressor, muzzle threads, folding/collapsable stock, and a bayonet lug. It also means newly manufactured normal capacity magazines, not really an issue except for the .308 model.

depends what state you live in as well. state laws have come into effect with what you can and cant have. the AWB is in the NY state laws for instance in almost a duplicate format. a few discrepancies are the only differences in my state's laws and the former AWB.

So can I buy a new saiga with a pistol grip and 9 rnd mag?

Not unless someone else converted it to a pistol grip configuration. The AWB had nothing to do with import law 922r, which is the reason the Saiga looks like it does.

SARs are imported into temporary storage facilities off the import docks, thus the laws didn't apply while they were there. Then CAI installed the compliance parts and then distributed them as US guns. I guess the Saiga is an issue where EAA doesn't want to put out the additional funds to have a retro-fit operation running.

Depends on what model you're retrofitting. Non-.308 models require cutting two crosspins and drilling three rivets and one spotweld. .308s require drilling two rivets and three spotwelds. Standard AK stocks for stamped guns fit both, standard AK single-hook FCGs fit both, but the .308 requires a bump removed off most hammers. You'll also need to aquire a pg nut and bolt to attach the grip of your choice (also standard AK).