308 Saiga or Vepr

Well, the most obvious pro for the Saiga is that they're still readily available. They're also cheaper and lighter. The Vepr is supposed to have better fit and finish and apparently high capacity magazines can be more easily adapted to it. Vepr's have a good reputation for accuracy, but then again so do Saiga's. Having had no personal experience with the Vepr I couldn't tell you which is better.

I too looked up the pros and cons between the Saiga 308 & the VEPR quite extensively, mostly in terms of accuracy ( S308 w/ the 22" barrel) between both as well as the prices between both of them to justify picking one over the other. The consensus was that although the VEPR has a slightly better fit and finish, the Saigas are just as reliable and shoots just as accurate (usually after conversion) as the VEPR, plus you just can't beat them for the price. That being said, even after the conversion (should you want to do that) you would still come out ahead with the S308, and the 8-rd mags can be easily converted to accomodate 10 with some very simple modifications.

Do a google search for 'Saiga 308 vs VEPR' and you'll see a bunch of pretty informative threads in various gun forums.

I personally went with the Saiga 308, and I'm currently doing some modifications (Dragunov-type buttstock, forearm venting, FCG conversion, muzzle brake, POSP scope, moly-resin treatment) to make the gun uniquely my own. After all is said and done, it'll still be less than what I would have paid for a VEPR.

From a DIYer's standpoint, its just so much more rewarding to own a gun that you've put your own efforts into making it better. I can thank this forum's members for all the info that I've soaked up ever since I started to visit this site.

Well, the most obvious pro for the Saiga is that they're still readily available. They're also cheaper and lighter. The Vepr is supposed to have better fit and finish and apparently high capacity magazines can be more easily adapted to it. Vepr's have a good reputation for accuracy, but then again so do Saiga's. Having had no personal experience with the Vepr I couldn't tell you which is better.

The Saiga is definitely cheaper but has great potential. Robinson Armament still has 10 308 Veprs left for $1000. Some say Veprs are the Cadillacs of AKs.

I too looked up the pros and cons between the Saiga 308 & the VEPR quite extensively, mostly in terms of accuracy ( S308 w/ the 22" barrel) between both as well as the prices between both of them to justify picking one over the other. The consensus was that although the VEPR has a slightly better fit and finish, the Saigas are just as reliable and shoots just as accurate (usually after conversion) as the VEPR, plus you just can't beat them for the price. That being said, even after the conversion (should you want to do that) you would still come out ahead with the S308, and the 8-rd mags can be easily converted to accomodate 10 with some very simple modifications.

Do a google search for 'Saiga 308 vs VEPR' and you'll see a bunch of pretty informative threads in various gun forums.

I personally went with the Saiga 308, and I'm currently doing some modifications (Dragunov-type buttstock, forearm venting, FCG conversion, muzzle brake, POSP scope, moly-resin treatment) to make the gun uniquely my own. After all is said and done, it'll still be less than what I would have paid for a VEPR.

From a DIYer's standpoint, its just so much more rewarding to own a gun that you've put your own efforts into making it better. I can thank this forum's members for all the info that I've soaked up ever since I started to visit this site.

I'm in the same boat with you. I just needed that little push on the decision. When I'm done with the Sx39 project I'll be looking for a S308.

I would like to know the pros and cons of these two rifles. Anyone have experience with both? Just curious to know.

I have several of both makes and the Vepr is the higher quality rifle. The veprs are made on an RPK based rifle. The receivers are 1.6mm thick and have huge trunions to compensate for a squad auto's function, i.e. full auto, high heat production, etc. These are semi-auto, squad auto's. The barrel is much thicker and the metal work is superior in fit and finish. Exceptionally accurate, only out done by a .308 Valmet M-78 I also own. The down side, no more reliable than a saiga. They weigh twice as much as a saiga. They are no longer commercially available. Robinson arms, where I got mine, has only a few left and the price is very high. I bought when they were around $500.00. Saiga's are readily more available and can be made to look like a AK47,AK74,AK103,104,105 etc. The veprs look different, no bayo lug,non threaded muzzle angle cut receiver but they come already converted to take hi cap mags and other accessories. So there are pluses and minuses for each. If you can get one for a good price I would definitly jump on it because I do not think we will see them in the U.S. anymore. They will be REAL pricey in a few years. Both makes are good but they are just different rifles. To me, it is like comparing an M-1 Garand to an M-14, both superb pieces, very similar but different. The PolyTechs that you cannot get easily anymore are also top of the line AK's, very well made.

the vepr I just got is pretty OK with me. I would go with a saiga308, but for the 500 I paid last week, the verp308 I have (first imports, 1998 make) seems to be a very nice weapon, all in all.

Ill try to take some pictures of it before I put a "french wax" on the stock set....

I STILL want several saiga 308's but...but....but.....I HAD to have a vepr 308....HAD to....

I will buy my saiga 308's (I still want two of em, vepr308 hasnt changed my mind on that one), later, on my next gun budget.....