Barrel Fixture

Looking for someone who sells or has a good idea or method for a press fixture to press the barrel off of a barreled receiver. Haven't been able to find anything so far.

I'm wanting to remove the barrel from a S-308 Saiga for some mods.

Thanks

You can use this: http://ak-builder.com/ak/modules.php?name=...page&pid=10 with a long socket wrench extension through the rear of the receiver.

Unless i'm missing somethin here, i don't see how you could pull or press a barrel OUT of a complete intact receiver with what they're showing in that kit. All they show is pressing a barrel out of a demilled trunnion, and pressing a barrel INTO a receiver thats got the trunnion installed.

What is a long socket wrench (whatever that is, deep socket?) going to do for removing the barrel from a complete receiver ?? I'm just not gettin it. Please explain....................

Thanks

bp11a.jpg

First, you'll need to use items 2, 3 and 3a to push out your barrel pin (this is in the top part of the barrel trunnion). The flat aluminum plate (2) cradles your barrel trunnion and allows the pin to go through it as you press it.

A good rule of thumb when removing AK pins is that the pins remove toward the side the empties fly out of, and reassemble from the opposite direction.

The long square double bar setup (1) on the right separates and you stick your AK barrel down into it. The bars close up against the barrel and support the trunnion.

Since you do not have an exposed trunnion, you'll need the long extension to fit through the back side of the receiver and past the rear trunnion.

Make sure you use copper or brass shims on your breech face when pressing the barrel out. Item (4) is used when you have an exposed barrel trunnion, but it not long enough to reach out past the rear of the complete receiver.

MAKE SURE YOU FOLD YOUR REAR SIGHT LEAF FORWARD WHEN PRESSING THE BARREL OUT OR IN. IF YOU DO NOT, YOU"LL TEAR IT OFF.

ALWAYS WEAR PROPER PERSONAL SAFETY EQUIPMENT WHEN DOING THIS TYPE OF WORK. A pin flying at you under 20t of pressure is not fun.

Edited by nalioth
bp11a.jpg

First, you'll need to use items 2, 3 and 3a to push out your barrel pin (this is in the top part of the barrel trunnion). The flat aluminum plate (2) cradles your barrel trunnion and allows the pin to go through it as you press it.

A good rule of thumb when removing AK pins is that the pins remove toward the side the empties fly out of, and reassemble from the opposite direction.

The long square double bar setup (1) on the right separates and you stick your AK barrel down into it. The bars close up against the barrel and support the trunnion.

Since you do not have an exposed trunnion, you'll need the long extension to fit through the back side of the receiver and past the rear trunnion.

Make sure you use copper or brass shims on your breech face when pressing the barrel out. Item (4) is used when you have an exposed barrel trunnion, but it not long enough to reach out past the rear of the complete receiver.

MAKE SURE YOU FOLD YOUR REAR SIGHT LEAF FORWARD WHEN PRESSING THE BARREL OUT OR IN. IF YOU DO NOT, YOU"LL TEAR IT OFF.

ALWAYS WEAR PROPER PERSONAL SAFETY EQUIPMENT WHEN DOING THIS TYPE OF WORK. A pin flying at you under 20t of pressure is not fun.

First of all, let me say that i'm not exactly new to these methods of AK building. I've built 5 diff. styles of AK's and 6 or 7 FALs. I understand what each component in that particular kit is for and

what they're used for. I will also be removing the rear sight block before removing the barrel as i'm gonna mod. that also. Already have the front sightblock and gas block removed. I appreciate your help but i'm wondering if you're getting the whole picture here.

If you have an AK handy,remove the top cover, recoil spring,bolt carrier and bolt, and the buttstock. Now look at that receiver and tell me how you would push against the breech end of the barrel with anything, much less a bolt with a nut on it about 3-4 inches long and then put a socket and extension on it with the ejector,the cross support pin, and the rear trunnion with tang in the way. The only way you can do that is to have a set up that would be approx. 10 1/2 inches long leaned out at an angle and that would be inviting a disaster.

I think i have an idea that will be safe and will work but will take some tjme and experimentation and some fab work to come up with. I'm not in any hurry so it's not a problem.

It's a whole different ballgame when your trying to do this with a fully assembled receiver in the way.

I really do appreciate your suggestions and willingness to help. When you stop and think about it, not too many folks ever want to remove their barrel after the gun is finished.

Will keep ya'll posted on what i finally come up with. Thanks.................

If you have an AK handy,remove the top cover, recoil spring,bolt carrier and bolt, and the buttstock. Now look at that receiver and tell me how you would push against the breech end of the barrel with anything, much less a bolt with a nut on it about 3-4 inches long and then put a socket and extension on it with the ejector,the cross support pin, and the rear trunnion with tang in the way.
Well, in this case, you don't use item (4). Just a stack of coins on the breech face and an extension.

I'm sorry my ESP doesn't work and I had no idea of your building skills. I tried to answer your question with the basics of the how to use the pictured implements.

The only other method I can think of (but you probably already know this, too), is to use a cold chisel to knock the rivet heads off of the front trunnion and remove the trunnion and barrel assembly. Then you can use the pictured equipment as it's meant to be used.

I'll see if I can find the thread reply from Jammer and post it. I asked the same question specific to the S12 a few weeks ago and Jammer has a good work around. You will need a press. It involves a cross bar through the magwell opening with a barrel support that sits on top of it. Now he just takes a pipe, longer and slightly larger in diameter than the barrel and slides it over the barrel down to the end of the front trunion. You press down against the front trunion via the pipe, while the barrel is supported by the cross bar and support. I should also add, but assume that you know, that this is done after pressing out the barrel pin.

I'll see if I can find Jammers post and link it.

Link,

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=20010&hl=

Edited by 6500rpm

Sorry to jump into the middle of this but you asked for help and then seem to indicate that nalioth didn't understand what you are asking. But you've built so many aks and fals before. I would think you would know how to do this is if you were so accomplished.

There are three ways to do this. Two have been described here. Those two both require the trunion to be supported on basic bar stock in a press. Then you can push the barrel either at a slight angle from the side of the receiver or through the back with a long extension which would need to be clearenced around the center support. I've always done mine from the side with parts and pieces of my old xebec plate kit. Most people today use the ak builder parts with various extensions from a tool box. The third method is the all thread method and since I don't use that method it would be best to search akforum.net or gunsnet.net for a full description. Outside of those three BFH.

You can dismiss this if you like, but it works.

I'll see if I can find the thread reply from Jammer and post it. I asked the same question specific to the S12 a few weeks ago and Jammer has a good work around. You will need a press. It involves a cross bar through the magwell opening with a barrel support that sits on top of it. Now he just takes a pipe, longer and slightly larger in diameter than the barrel and slides it over the barrel down to the end of the front trunion. You press down against the front trunion via the pipe, while the barrel is supported by the cross bar and support. I should also add, but assume that you know, that this is done after pressing out the barrel pin.

I'll see if I can find Jammers post and link it.

Link,

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=20010&hl=

This is exactly what i was lookin for. Had a similar idea and think this is the way to go.

Sorry to all if i came across like a smartass but i posted this on about 5 diff. gun boards and everybody keeps suggesting the extension and pennies or nickels . I did not want to try that method for fear of the pushbar kicking off because it was on an angle.

dyi, This is the first time i've tried to remove a barrel from a finished receiver, which is why i posted this . I did not want to use the above mentioned methods because they don't appear to be all that safe.

Maybe if i had stated that from the getgo we would'nt be discussing this right now.

Again, my apologies if i offended anyone and thank you all for your help...................

hmmm......I wouldn't do it like that.

I would use a machined piece of round stock to center up on the chamber end of the barrel, with a square bar through the magazine well to push up on it. Then slide a piece of pipe over the barrel, that is about 1" longer then the barrel, and rest it up against the receiver where the barrel meets it. Then press down on the pipe pushing the receiver down and off the barrel.

Tony