brake or flash hider?

Hi I recently started thinking about the front end of my saiga and don't have a clue about what to put on it. Can someone explain why I would need a muzzle brake? As I understand it they work great on auto rifles, but do they really help on a semi-auto? Why do some people put flash hider on the rifle? Are they used mainly to protect the crown?

Thanks for any advice...

A flash suppressor or hider is there to redirect the muzzle flash so you don't lose your night vision. The M16A2 style flash hider also blocks the bottom vents to educe the blast from the bottom of the muzzle to help reduce the dust "signature" when the rifle is fired from the prone position.

A muzzle brake is there to help reduce felt recoil and muzzle flip, or barrel rise. A .223 w/ a good brake will have almost no muzzle rise, so follow-on shots are quicker. Because of the fact that they redirect all the gasses from the barrel, they tend to be rather LOUD.