My grandfather gave me a Mannlicher Carcano, when I was about 10 (just really getting into guns). At the time I thought it was an old piece of junk, tossed it in the safe, and forgot all about it. Now I am getting interested in the older firearms, and am kinda thinking of trying to restore it.

He bought it at a garage sale years before he gave it to me. Almost anything metal on the gun is rusted, and someone had painted the stock black.

Racking the bolt open and shut/back and forth (or whatever), pulling the trigger, everything seems to be working properly.

I picked up a clip at a gun show and think if I get it cleaned up, it could be functional.

My question is... What is the best cleaner/solvent to get the metal parts back into decent condition?

Any ideas on what, if anything, to use on the stock? (I am thinking of sanding it down and finishing.)

As always,

Thanks all!!

In the shop we always start with steel wool (fine) soaked with Hoppes #9 solvent. And start scrubbin. This will take the majority of the rust off, while leaving the metal intact. Works good on the wood also, although depending on what is on top of the wood you might start with some 00 wool. Happy Cleaning.......it will take some time, but any short cuts usually cost you in the long run. VK..

FIRST scrub with mineral spirits and green scotchbrite. As it cleans up and you can identify markings, do some research. Every now and then "this old gun" turns out to be a $$$$ collector/museum piece. If so the LESS you have done to it the more it will be worth.