Thinking Of buying a S-308

Hi all ,, Just joined the forum ,

Thinking of buying a S-308. Shot a Saiga 762X39 last weekend, was very comfortable to shoot. I already have two sks's and a ak, so want to move up to 308 to go along with my Savage 110fp in 308. Trying to consolidate ammo,, because of steadily creeping prices and manufactuer greed.

Anyway, I got my FFL guy looking for a decent price on a Saiga 308 carbine with the drag stock.. anybody on here actually do custom gunsmithing for this rifle. I would like to add a pistol grip and a compensator/flash hider to it once I get it. Also would like to get it parkerized or hard chromed once I have put some rounds through it.

Lastly are there 5 rd magazines available for the .308, as I live in Virginia and they have the five rounder hunting law for rifles.... !!!

I have looked at danzigs (sp) site and he has all the tools and parts. I can do some very basic gunsmithing. I am not comfortable with drilling the reciever though.

thanks for any help

I saw a 22" .308 N.I.B. on the shelf at J. Floyds golf and guns in Sevierville Tn. 865-453-5010

They are having a 20% off sale on all guns so the price was $299.

I had that much in my wallet and just enough gas money to get back to Florida, I was figuring the mileage of the car/miles home x cost per gallon in my head while standing there looking at it. By my calculations I was within $10 of getting it but I couldnt risk it .That was 4 days ago so it might still be there.The rifle was a standard 22" black poly-no drag stock just the regular one but I thought it was a good price.

Bossman

Edited by Bossman

Welcome to the forum, Stimpy! Have you read the Cross-conn tutorial yet? It was written for the .223 and 7.62x39 rifles, and the .308 is simpler (read: no bullet guide). I did my conversion without any mishaps, and I'd never owned anything bigger than my Marlin Papoose, let alone taken a gun apart! If you're in southwest VA, I'd be glad to meet up with you and help you with the conversion. Oh, and to be technically correct, one doesn't actually have to drill into the receiver, just into rivets and welds on it.

Hahaa :lolol: That's great, Bossman. I would have gone for it, though. Just coast the whole way down. It's all downhill, right? :unsure: Maybe that's just the way I hold the map...

Holla,

Acer

Welcome to the forum, Stimpy! Have you read the Cross-conn tutorial yet? It was written for the .223 and 7.62x39 rifles, and the .308 is simpler (read: no bullet guide). I did my conversion without any mishaps, and I'd never owned anything bigger than my Marlin Papoose, let alone taken a gun apart! If you're in southwest VA, I'd be glad to meet up with you and help you with the conversion. Oh, and to be technically correct, one doesn't actually have to drill into the receiver, just into rivets and welds on it.

Hahaa :lolol: That's great, Bossman. I would have gone for it, though. Just coast the whole way down. It's all downhill, right? :unsure: Maybe that's just the way I hold the map...

Holla,

Acer

Thanks for the info. I live near Richmond now, but planning to move to the Southwestern part of the state or Eastern Tenn. In the next year or so. After I finish my degree.

I had a bad experience with my first SKS tried to do a "trigger" job and screwed it up pretty bad, had to order another trigger group and install it and that was a pain. A machinist I am not. I am a better destroyer than fixer .. If you are interested in getting together to shoot let me know, I can make a trip down south with some advance planning..

Holla,

Acer

Are there any decent ranges out there in your neck of the woods ?

Edited by stimpy32

I know of 2 good hunt club ranges, one in Roanoke, and one in Giles Co., but they're incredibly expensive. I shoot at the local Park Service 100-yard range. It's not bad most of the time, just when stupid college students come in and start fooling around. To give you an idea of the upkeep, I've never once taken targets to shoot, other than a few sheets of card stock once. I like it, but it's nothing fancy. There's plenty of private land to shoot on if you know some people, which I don't yet. :-\

Acer