New Saiga-12 owner

After nearly a year of trying to get an 870 Express to function reliably (and failing), I sold it and bought a Saiga-12 shotgun. I'm totally new to this gun and have some questions.

First of all, the end of my barrel is threaded on the outside with a nut on there. I assume this is to add accessories such as a muzzle brake. Am I correct on this or is there some other reason for this?

Is it possible to get the barrel threaded for choke tubes? My plan is to use this gun mainly for home defense and plinking, might try a little hunting if I can get it threaded for appropriate chokes.

What setting should I use on the gas ring for shooting 2 3/4" slugs and buckshot? Someone had posted in the FAQ section to use "1" for slugs, does this hold true for buckshot as well?

What vendors have 2 shot magazines? I'm planning on ordering some 10 rounders, but would need a 2 shot mag for hunting in my area.

That's all I can think of now. I will do some reading on this site and learn some more.

Thanks for your time and patience,

John

After nearly a year of trying to get an 870 Express to function reliably (and failing), I sold it and bought a Saiga-12 shotgun. I'm totally new to this gun and have some questions.

First of all, the end of my barrel is threaded on the outside with a nut on there. I assume this is to add accessories such as a muzzle brake. Am I correct on this or is there some other reason for this?

Is it possible to get the barrel threaded for choke tubes? My plan is to use this gun mainly for home defense and plinking, might try a little hunting if I can get it threaded for appropriate chokes.

What setting should I use on the gas ring for shooting 2 3/4" slugs and buckshot? Someone had posted in the FAQ section to use "1" for slugs, does this hold true for buckshot as well?

What vendors have 2 shot magazines? I'm planning on ordering some 10 rounders, but would need a 2 shot mag for hunting in my area.

That's all I can think of now. I will do some reading on this site and learn some more.

Thanks for your time and patience,

John

The nut is a thread protector. There are external chokes available as well as a Polychoke. Use setting "1" for high brass and "2" for low brass. Break in the gun with a couple hundred rounds of high brass, like slugs, preferably on setting 1, but if not cycling properly start on 2 and switch to 1 as soon as that setting works. Try Gilberts for two rounders--they are actually five rounders with an insert. True two rounders are very difficult to find.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the site

I purchased my Saiga 12 mainly for hunting. I have ordered the Polychoke but have not yet received it so no report on it. If the 12 works as well as the 410 you will be very pleased. I have been using my Saiga 410 for several years now with great success. It is one of my favorite small (dove and quail) bird guns. The Saiga 12 will be my waterfowl gun. I plugged several mags down for my 410 and will be doing the same with the 12. I only have one 5 round currently but expect to see a few more in the next week or so. I have found a piece of Balsa wood with rounded edges that just fits in the spring has worked flawlwessly in my 410 and to date no issues in the 12.

Once the Saiga bug has bit you will more than likely end up owning more than one as most of the members here do. I can see a 20 in my near future.

Where can I get the polychoke? The Saiga is the only one that I know which uses the external threads.

Some of the internal choked shotguns have barrels flared on the outside to allow the end to have internal threads. When I had my Verona barrel shortened to 20" I found that out. I'll probably have the outside threaded like the Saiga. My S-12 shoots a lot nicer and doesn't beat my shoulder like the Verona does.

Where can I get the polychoke? The Saiga is the only one that I know which uses the external threads.

Some of the internal choked shotguns have barrels flared on the outside to allow the end to have internal threads. When I had my Verona barrel shortened to 20" I found that out. I'll probably have the outside threaded like the Saiga. My S-12 shoots a lot nicer and doesn't beat my shoulder like the Verona does.

I grabbed my polychoke from here - www.saigastock.com. Real fast shipping, and they tossed a few goodies into my order as well. I think they've only recently opened for business - but I had a good experience.

You can have the thing threaded for internal chokes but you'll lose the external threads as it's too thin to have both at the same points. They make external chokes and attachments (Such as muzzle brakes) that attach to the stock threads. You can also purchase new iron sights from Krebs that come with a rear peep site and a forward AR-15 type sight which attaches near the muzzle.

Shoot every new type of ammo on setting 1 first. Only use setting 2 if you're having failure to eject problems with the ammo. Setting 2 will beat the rear of the receiver to death if you use #2 settings with 3" slugs or 00 Buck. Use #1 if you can and only switch to #2 if necessary.

Saigastock.com has Poly chokes & 2rd mags (5rds plugged to 2rd). Coba762 also MAKES plugs for 5rd mags for like $5? to reduce your stock mags capacity to legal hunting 2rd.

If you have any more questions, ask away.