trigger guard?? conversion question?????

can anyone post a an upclose pic of the standard s12 trigger guard after a pg conversion. Ive only seen pics of the 7.62 and from what ive seen that has a different mag release. i just want to see how they sit by each other. im guessing that the tg is just bolted into the reciever at the rear of the mag release. or should i try to get a different trigger guard like the 7.62.

i also understand that there is a mag well comming out in the future. (if i was going to get one) would it be better to wait to do the conversion for a better fit and to avoid any un necessary holes in the reciever.

thanks alot

You shouldn't have to worry about the magwell interfering with your TG. It mounts in front of the mag catch and attaches by the pin that goes thru it.

There are different ways people do their TGs on their conversions. This is how I do mine.

My first conversion using a Bulgarian AK TG that I trimmed down and riveted in place with Steel AK rivets (from a set)

If you go this route, you will also need to purchase a selector stop....or you could make your own like I did :devil:

post-1293-1199936297_thumb.jpg post-1293-1199936309_thumb.jpg

Or you can re-use the factory TG and cut off part of the cover plate and re-use the factory selector stop like this.

With this type of mount I use softer rivets that are available at you local Ace Hardware store.

post-1293-1199936522_thumb.jpg post-1293-1199936535_thumb.jpg

that second set of pics is exactly how I did mine, 'cept I used screws instead of rivets (cause i'm lazy)

You would be surprised...actually it takes more time, is more expensive, and can be just as much trouble to use machine screws and nuts, than if you just do it right with rivets. I think the ones I use cost about 20 cents ea and you don't have to put locktite on them or worry about them ever coming loose. They definitely worth any trouble getting set up use them and look more professional.

that second set of pics is exactly how I did mine, 'cept I used screws instead of rivets (cause i'm lazy)

You would be surprised...actually it takes more time, is more expensive, and can be just as much trouble to use machine screws and nuts, than if you just do it right with rivets. I think the ones I use cost about 20 cents ea and you don't have to put locktite on them or worry about them ever coming loose. They definitely worth any trouble getting set up use them and look more professional.

Cobra, as far as rivets go how do you put them in. are the tools available at a hardware store. ive read things about some type of bolt cutter rivetter. if its cheap enough id just like to buy the proper tool.

OK since this is the tech section I'm gonna spend some time on this...

They do make tools for bucking rivets by hand but you can make your own if you have access to some raw steel bar stock. I made my bucking tools. All you need is one piece with a concave hemisphere or dimple ground into it (for the rivet head), and another flat solid piece to smash against it on the other end. Because of the way the center support or crossmember sits over the place the rivets come thru the receiver at the front of the TG, I had to cut a step in my bar to fit under there ands still cover the rivets for bucking them. I also had to make some cuts in the sides, for the bar to clear the rivets on the inside of the receiver (rear trunnion and side rail). I used a bolt and hollowed out the end to conform to the rivet head, for holding the ones at the front of the TG in that small space.

If there is enough interest in that I could make up some more of these to sell. It's my design and it works great for this specific purpose.

If you are just doing one or two then making your own tools is good enough. If you plan to do more, then it might be in your best interest to buy a TG riveting jig from somewhere like DPH Arms. I think they still sell those. If not then Red Star has one. With this cool tool you can seat it over all five rivet heads at the same time and then just put the heavy bar on the inside and press or smash with a sledge. You can get real AK Rivets from DPH in sets.

Of course, you are not going to find any of these tools at a hardware store. You can buy them online though.

The bolt cutter rivet squasher is a tool made from a pair of bolt cutters to do the rivets on the front and rear trunnion when installing those on a complete AK build. You can't use

those for TG rivets, they don't have a long enough reach.

Here is a kink to the tool sold by Red Star...

http://www.redstararms.com/index.htm?1021.htm&1

This is a link to a really good tutorial for the DIY home builder. Read this and get a real understanding about what you are trying to do. It covers how to make the tools you need and how to use them. It even tells how you can put your own dimples in your receiver. Pretty cool. I like the way this guy thinks. Do EVERYTHING yourself....

http://www.gunsgutsandgod.com/SBS%20tutorial.htm

Here is another good link to a discussion about this on the AK Files Forum with pics showing some more home made tools. I like the way this guy did the rivet bucking bar. I may make myself one like that and try it.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16914

Here is another thread from awhile back addressing this same issue.....

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=4596

Here are some pics of my tools and how I use them. If you want a more detailed discription go to my tutorial pinned at the top.

post-1293-1199984812.jpg

post-1293-1199984477.jpg

post-1293-1199984493.jpg

post-1293-1199984523.jpg

post-1293-1199984544.jpg

Edited by Cobra 76 two