100 yard open sights bullseye shot

I took my 22" out again today after adjusting the front sight to compensate for shooting too far right two weeks ago. I sighted her in at 20 yards and got her on target. I then went out to 100 yards and mounted a Bushnell Dusk and Dawn 1.5-4.5 x 32 mm scope on her to try her out at that distance. I was shooting at a bullseye target printed on a 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper (mytargets.com). Shot one - no hit. Shot two - no hit. I decided what the hell, and removed the scope. Shot three - Bullseye! Both my father and son witnessed the shot. Dad, who is a retired fed, signed and dated the target and was beaming with pride. I also asked Dad to try the S-308 since he's the only person available to me who trained with the M-14 back in the early 60's. I wanted him to compare the rifles. According to him, the S308 has much less recoil than the M-14 and he feels that it is a lighter rifle. He really liked it and it's simplicity. He also told me to throw the scope away! I'll try and post a pic of the target later. BTW, my 8 year old boy had a chance to shoot with grandpa's 38 Diamondback Colt today. In all, great day at the range.