sight and gas block removal

How hard is it to remove them? want to have my gun smith thread the barrel and i need them both off to put it in the lathe. he wants to turn the barrel down enough to push back the sight and turn down the barrel in frnt of the sight so it can be threaded 5/8x24.

Tap the retainer pins out. Soak it with PB Blaster or the like overnight. Use a large brass hammer (softer, might mark the metal, but will give first and not destroy your parts. )I turned my barrel (had to pull it to fit my lathe), and set the sight back. Threaded 14x1LH, plenty of metal to do this. Also turned bbl down from the gas port (same OD) back, and dremeled out a Romy lower handguard retainer, so I could put on a real handguard.Plus the obvoius other mdos, can't help it...Picture087.jpg

I've got my GB and FSB of right now. They were easy to remove with just a brass punch and hammer. I'm putting it all back together soon. Cut the barrel back to 16 and got dinzag to bore my FSB out and add a detent for the 74 brake to index on. I recrowned and threaded the barrel so that part's done.

I'm debating on what kind of stock to use right now. I think I'm going to go with an Ace folder and all blonde wood for the PG and HGs. I've got a matching set but no stock to match them. The Ace with the one inch recoil pad should do a great job and be easier to store if I take it on the road hunting or somewhere.

Wow Highlander, I'm surprised there was enough meat left in the middle of the HG retainer after boring it out for that large barrel. Mine turned out to be especially thick, I bought one of dinzag's custom made retainers and had to get him to bore it out even further. He makes his up I believe, because the AK retainers aren't quite big enough. Is yours off an RPK or something?