my S12 conversion

well yall, i thought i would post my conversion and get some input on it. with the info that i found here and all, i dove in and converted it from the rifle to the PG setup. at first i was going to send it off to get converted but then once i got into it, it didnt seem so hard, at least till i got to the end.

pretty much the tapco SAW grip and G2 FCG and ACE folder, stock and internal cut tang block.

i welded and ground down the old holes in of where the old pins were

now where it gets interesting is that i got dremel happy with my stock trigger guard cause i was trying to get to the center rivet, so at one point i said F it and just cut the TG into pieces, and so began the saga of fabricating a trigger guard. i remember to save the selector plate from the original pieces so i was good on that. the first one that i made was from extra 16 ga steel that i had laying around (the same thickness as the other trigger guard FYI . well got that all folded out and all and it didnt work out so well due to the grain pattern of the metal. so i had to goto plan b and used a trigger guard from a Romy G kit, i cut out the lever and spring and ears and the such and filed and set the trigger guard to sit as you see (without any bending, sat real well, almost stock like) , mig welded it up and filed it smooth as much as i could. and on the bright side it uses only a front and rear trigger guard rivet like the original. i even went as far as to oil temper the TG like they might of in the factory(or maybe i was overthinking stuff)

next it went to the paint area, and since i had autobody experience i knew it was going to come out good. at first i went with the BBQ paint that some people recomended on here. well i sprayed it in thin coats, and it ended coming off of the TG and so i got pissed and used industrial laquer thinner and too the reciever and barrel back down to bare paint, im talking even the factory paint came off and the barrel had some purple-ish reside come off, i then proceeded to red/brown scotchbrite pad scuff the hell out of all the reciever and barrel areas. i then proceeded to black primer acid etch the reciever and barrel in light coats, i then let it flash for an hour( autobody term for letting the VOCs/ fumes release themselves for an hour to eliminate any possible paint interactions). i then used a paint that was meant for the trim of a car, so that i got that eggshell finish that a lot of people are looking for(ie not flat and but not shiney)

you know its a good teardown when you slice the side of your thumb with a drill bit and you snap a HF metal punch in half

also, a word of caution to the new guys converting, careful using a press. apparently on the 25 ton press that my buddy had, i somehow managed to egg the hole out and have the bottom of the rivet in one location and the head of the rivet in another location on the rear rivet. and somehow managed to tear part of the trigger guard. i had to cut the rivet out and reweld and redrill the hole and everything, it came out stock looking, but if i had taken the time on the second one and not gorilla handled it (i figured hey, one or two more pulls of the jack handle ought to secure the rivet more, nope, it was distorting it)

000_0007.jpg

000_0006.jpg

000_0005.jpg

000_0004.jpg

000_0002.jpg

000_0001.jpg

Photo-0071.jpg

Photo-0070.jpg

Photo-0069.jpg

Photo-0068.jpg

MVC-029S.jpg

MVC-028S.jpg