First real conversion

HI all,

well....i'm essentially done with my first conversion....just have to put in Dinzags bullet guide and that will be it.

i started out with a 20.5 inch, dimpled, 7.62x39 saiga....

i added ergo grip (US)

warsaw length stock (US)

and Tapco g2 FCG (3 US parts) (wow is that better than the stock trigger!)

should be all 922r legal now.....

the conversion process is not that difficult as most of you who have already done it know......the dremel and chisel route is the way to go on the trigger plate/guard.

my biggest problem is that my gun didn't have the PG nut hole cut already, and that was bit of a bitch to do....in the end it is done, but my grip is bakc just a bit farther than i wanted.....i might take it down again and try to grind out a bit more metal to move it forward 1/4 inch or so......it is comfortable as it is, just that little gap is visually displeasing......oh well.

gotta take it all back down to paint it............thinking of trying ceramakote on it.....

anyone used that on their saiga?

Congrats on taking the plunge!

Interesting about the pistol grip nut -- you're the first person in a long time I've heard had to cut the hole on a 7.62x39. How old is the gun? I wonder if it's the difference between the 16" barrel and the 20.5 inch.

Here's my word of caution -- go VERY slowly on the bullet guide. No matter how careful you think you're being with the tap -- go easier. Lots of oil, light turns, slow and steady. It really sucks to break the tap off in the hole. Ask me how I know!! ;)

Jim

i did the bullet guide on my .223 previously and that was actually a breeze, but i will go slow on this one again just to be safe.

I think it is a relatively new gun, RAAC import, not an older EAA.....yeah i was pretty stunned to not find the grip nut hole either.....