I'm looking into building a custom Ruger MKIII/MKII (tacsol upper, threaded barrel, etc)

Does anyone know where I could find just the lower portion of the pistol? (so i don't have an upper just laying around, and so I don't have to go through an FFL)

The lower is the receiver and is what is defined as the firearm, therefore unless it is a FTF private sale you must go through an FFL. It would probably be just as cheap to find a FTF that want to get rid of their Ruger. I imagine there would be a lot of those when they try to clean them and put them back together. :eek::lolol::lolol:

the upper half of the gun has the serial number, and to buy a custom upper it has to go through an FFL. So i would imagine that the lower half wouldn't need one, as it would be pretty pointless to consider both halves "the" firearm. I think with this gun it works the same way as the FAL, where the lowers are not controlled but the upper reciever is. Could be wrong though.

yeah i checked out numrich's schematics on the MKIII, holy balls is that a lot of parts :lolol:

I have the Ruger 22/45 (MkIII??) and the barrel/slide/cocking assembly is in fact the serialized portion of the firearm and comes out in one whole piece, at least on mine....however I just got off the phone with Brownell's andf even though it's NOT a FFL item it is a factory restricted part. Good Luck!