After reading the 922r Compliance section, it appears that there is some controversy and difference of opinion as to the hi-cap magazines legality on an unconverted Saiga .308. My question: Can just a pistol guard and buttstock be added without any further conversion as far as the trigger group, etc is concerned? I really don't find that much fault with the stock trigger anyways

By Pistol Guard, do you mean Pistol Grip?

If so, let's take a look at what you need to become 922r compliant. A saiga rifle has 14 parts according to the ATF. This does not count a pistol grip, so adding a US made pistol grip does not help you since you still have 14 foreign and 1 US part. A foreign made pistol grip makes things worse since you then have 15 parts. A stock is one of the parts so here is how your options would then break down:

US stock + US pistol grip = 13 Import parts, 2 US parts

US stock + Import Pistol Grip = 14 Import Parts, 1 US Part

Import Stock + US Pistol Grip = 14 Import Parts, 1 US Part

Import stock + Import Pistol grip = 15 Imported parts

Remember, your imported parts must be at or bellow 10.

So, look at your magazines. A surefire magazine counts as three US parts, so we will factor that into our previous numbers.

Surefire Magazine, US stock + US pistol grip = 10 Import parts, 5 US parts

Surefire Magazine, US stock + Import Pistol Grip = 11 Import Parts, 4 US Part

Surefire Magazine, Import Stock + US Pistol Grip = 11 Import Parts, 4 US Part

Surefire Magazine, Import stock + Import Pistol grip = 12 Imported parts, 3 US parts

FBMG mags have mixes US/Foreign parts depending on when they were made so they are more difficult to depermine 922r compliance with.

Edited by ClickClickD'oh

If you just screw a pistol grip onto the original stock, that counts as an imported stock.. so you get:

Import Stock + US Pistol Grip = 14 Import Parts, 1 US Part

Import stock + Import Pistol grip = 15 Imported parts

Surefire Magazine, Import Stock + US Pistol Grip = 11 Import Parts, 4 US Part

Surefire Magazine, Import stock + Import Pistol grip = 12 Imported parts, 3 US parts

None of the options bring you to ten parts. You'll have to replace the stock. Good news is, the stock is probably the easiest piece to replace.

ClickClickD'oh,

Am not really worried about the 922r compliance issue at this time after reading the most recent posts in the 922r Compliance section of this forum. Anyway, I do have a SureFire Mag which I guess counts for 3 parts and puts me in compliance, or does it? Thanks-by the way where are you in Texas? I am from El Paso.

Anyway, I do have a SureFire Mag which I guess counts for 3 parts and puts me in compliance, or does it?

Almost, but not quite.

You have to get your imported parts count to ten or less. A Surefire magazine will get your parts count to 11. You need to replace at least one more imported part before you would be 922r compliant with a Surefire magazine. Remember, it must replace a part that was originally on the firearm, so adding a pistol grip of muzzle device doesn't count towards achieving 922r compliance. Fire control group parts, gas pistons, or replacing furniture works. If you threw on a Tapco forearm that would work with your Surefire Magazine to bring you to ten total imported parts.

PS: I'm in Dallas, or there abouts.

ClickClickD'oh,

Thanks for the info. Have you heard of Chris Horn of Horn's Custom Rifles? I just found him on AK-USA and have decided to use him to handle my AK-47 conversion. It turns out he lives near Flagstaff, AZ and I go thru there every month. Wish I would have known about him earlier since I just got back from that trip. I spoke with him and was very impressed with his knowledge about the AK-47. When I mentioned the RSA trigger he advised me against it indicating they are always falling out of adjustment due to the recoil of the .308. He uses the Tapco G2 trigger with his own modification. He advised me that if I stay overnight he will get it finished for me. The price seemed reasonable so I will be getting mine converted next month.

Edited by The_Vigilante