MIL spec Mags........

Let me get some pointers from those that know.........

So when I see some good deals either on the "net" or at the local gun shows. Are there "things" I should look for to determine I have a good working and good quality mag??.....any particular country of origin better than the other??....stuff like that.

Thanks!!

Mayday

How about determining if they are pre-ban--for those who live in a state like NY where pre-ban hi-caps are ok.

I have never seen a date stamp on any AK mags so your input is valued.

All military surplus AKM mags are pre-ban.

+1. Grab any steel commie mag you can find, it's pre-ban :D .

How about determining if they are pre-ban--for those who live in a state like NY where pre-ban hi-caps are ok.

I have never seen a date stamp on any AK mags so your input is valued.

innocent until proven guilty:

If there is no date stamped on it it's pre '94.

-how can any prove otherwise.

-before '94 there was no real reason to date stamp a mag.

my .02

Let me get some pointers from those that know.........

So when I see some good deals either on the "net" or at the local gun shows. Are there "things" I should look for to determine I have a good working and good quality mag??.....any particular country of origin better than the other??....stuff like that.

Thanks!!

Mayday

So, back to the original post. Sorry for hijacking the thread mayday...

Over the net it is tough to tell, obviously it is easier to determine the quality when you have them in hand. With all the mags out there I would not settle for one with any obvious problems such as rust, bent feed lips, a stuck or sticky follower, a stiff or sloppy spring, or a baseplate that looks like to was dropped from the empire state building.

The mags are easy enough to take apart so if you have them in hand pop off the baseplate and inspect the mag inside and out for the things listed above. I have come across some in gun shops that are treated with a light oil and stored in plastic bags. Obviously the oil is a rust inhibitor, but dont let it stand in your way of inspecting your mag. Just wipe off your hands when you are done ;)

I have never ordered (mil-surplus) mags over the internet so I cannot shed any light on those transactions.

Hope this helps to answer your question a lil.