I finally bit the bullet and picked up a Saiga 12, took her out to the range this morning and ran some slugs through her. Most of the hulls fell forward of the firing line so I only picked up a handful that were next to me to take home and cut open to see how they're constructed. I noticed that on one of the hulls, the primer backed out pretty significantly, about .05 inches. These were Winchester 3" slugs, 1 oz. @ 1760 fps. This is a bit more powerful than most of the slugs I tried, so I'm wondering if maybe I should keep these out of the Saiga from now on?

I finally bit the bullet and picked up a Saiga 12, took her out to the range this morning and ran some slugs through her. Most of the hulls fell forward of the firing line so I only picked up a handful that were next to me to take home and cut open to see how they're constructed. I noticed that on one of the hulls, the primer backed out pretty significantly, about .05 inches. These were Winchester 3" slugs, 1 oz. @ 1760 fps. This is a bit more powerful than most of the slugs I tried, so I'm wondering if maybe I should keep these out of the Saiga from now on?

Everthing I ever read as a reloader said that a backed out primer is caused by excessive pressure.

Do not re-use these hulls as they may have been damaged.

louielouie

Well, I have no shotshell reloading equipment, so that won't be a problem. This was factory ammo, the X123RS15 loading. I was just wondering if I should stick to more normal-powered slug loads. Also, this was on the #2 gas setting, could that have played a role?

Well, I have no shotshell reloading equipment, so that won't be a problem. This was factory ammo, the X123RS15 loading. I was just wondering if I should stick to more normal-powered slug loads. Also, this was on the #2 gas setting, could that have played a role?

I didn't mean to suggest that you should stay away from this ammunition because it would make it non re-loadable.

I just want to warn you that a backed out primer (in shotgun, pistol, or rifle ammo) is one very strong indication of too much chamber pressure. The pressure is so high that instead of waiting for the hot gases to exit the muzzle of the barrel, the pressure begins to push the primer back trying to escape. If the pressure is too great it will just explode the barrel; and the chamber of your shotgun will look like a banana that has been halfway peeled.

Hopefully someone who knows about gas settings will answer that part of your question, but you should definitely stick to more normal powered loads. It will be safer and made your firearm last longer.

louielouie