technical advice please

howdy - I have two quick questions for anyone with a bit of saiga 12 knowledge.... guess I'm in the right place!

Firstly, at work someone told me I was an idiot for throwing slugs down a shotgun - and that it will more than likely wreck the bolt and damage the barrel. It would appear to me from reading the manual and from the accounts of other owners that the s12 is designed for slugs and handles loads of them no worries at all.

Whose right? me or the guy at work?

Second, the receiver cover can be a little tricky to get back down on to the retracting mechanism lug, I have been pushing the lug in with a drift through the hole in the receiver cover but its a royal pain in the ass, I have seen a few folks just slam the receiver down on to the lug and it pops right on there (where the receiver cover is hinged) and a few guys just bash the unhinged ones on but I am concerned that the little ribs on the lug will eventually bend the lip out at the bottom of that hole and cause me a whole world of headaches.

what do you guys think?

I am careful with the full choke and gas setting when I run slugs.

My settings for planned slug use are gas=1, choke=open or 1/2.

It happened that I shot some odd slugs through full choke without any obvious damage to the gun but the choke is quite pointless for slugs. The only reason I can think of is that you are (a) competing and need to mix or (B) befriending yourself and the S-12 with some unexpected guests in your house and hence lack the proper time for adjusting this fine piece of led-delivery apparatus.

wrt the top cover I have no particular advice other than it should not feel awkward. Spend some time studying the gun and how the pieces fit together. Because they do. Once you figure it out the S-12 is a really good acquaintance.

I think the Saiga-12 will still be shooting slugs long after I'm dead and buried. You're buddy may know something about shotguns, but he doesn't know crap about this one.

The trick to the top cover is to put the front part in place and use the angle of the rear to push that lug backwards as you press towards the receiver at a slight angle. Once it's in place the lug will pop out the hole and the top cover will be secured. It takes some practice to get it down.

'Most' lead slugs are designed with rifling grooves which are really there to allow the slug to swage down when passing through a choke. No, they won't hurt any modern shotgun, that's an old wives tale from the days of Damascus or twist barrels that would indeed be damaged by modern ammo, especially slugs.

I Have a factory made rifled slug extension tube that screws onto the barrel. That and the fact that most of these things come with an open cylinder bore. Suggests to me that they are made to pump out a wide variety of lead products Slugs included. I think that the top cover is hardened to some extent so it will do more harm to you than you can do it. I just line it up and give it a light rap with the palm of my hand and it snaps into place. Have fun with it