Well, this past Sunday I did my first 3 gun. It was a hoot, I don't know how I'm going to enjoy going to a static range anymore.

With the time constraints, moving, weapon transitions, and moving targets 3gun is a far more realistic measure of you're real world accuracy than sitting at a bench.

While it's a game and to do well at it you would have to do things that are not tactically correct, it is still excellent practice if you have the right attitude.

I am focused on fighting skills, and I currently have no interest in investing in race gun style equipment and techniques that will allow me to place well.

With no previous 3gun or IPDA experience I expected to get my ass handed to me and finish a distant last. And on top of being the only newbie, I was put in the open class because of the S12! And just to pile on to the challenge, my rifle is still at the gunsmiths and I used a borrowed rifle that I had never touched before. It had no optics and jammed every 4-5 shots! I had no idea how it was zeroed and iron sights out to 100 yards trying to hit a 4x6 plate was a tad difficult.

Getting caught up in it on some of the bigger stages, I failed to engage some targets and the light birdshot I was using failed to take down some plates and I would have to just keeping shooting them and do a mag change, go at them again, etc.

So anyway, I know I will do MUCH better next time (hopefully my rifle will be done).

I finished 6th out of 8 open class competitors, and finished 30th out of 36 overall. I'm happy with it.

Congratulations! Can you post the location of the match so other Saiga shooters in your area can find out about it. Hey don't forget to visit cafepress.com for Saiga shirts and hats, it really screws with the competition.

Well, this past Sunday I did my first 3 gun. It was a hoot, I don't know how I'm going to enjoy going to a static range anymore.

With the time constraints, moving, weapon transitions, and moving targets 3gun is a far more realistic measure of you're real world accuracy than sitting at a bench.

While it's a game and to do well at it you would have to do things that are not tactically correct, it is still excellent practice if you have the right attitude.

I am focused on fighting skills, and I currently have no interest in investing in race gun style equipment and techniques that will allow me to place well.

With no previous 3gun or IPDA experience I expected to get my ass handed to me and finish a distant last. And on top of being the only newbie, I was put in the open class because of the S12! And just to pile on to the challenge, my rifle is still at the gunsmiths and I used a borrowed rifle that I had never touched before. It had no optics and jammed every 4-5 shots! I had no idea how it was zeroed and iron sights out to 100 yards trying to hit a 4x6 plate was a tad difficult.

Getting caught up in it on some of the bigger stages, I failed to engage some targets and the light birdshot I was using failed to take down some plates and I would have to just keeping shooting them and do a mag change, go at them again, etc.

So anyway, I know I will do MUCH better next time (hopefully my rifle will be done).

I finished 6th out of 8 open class competitors, and finished 30th out of 36 overall. I'm happy with it.

Paladin,

Nice report on your first 3-gun match. Points to remember, watch the experts as they often know how to shave time, don't worry about speed (smooth is fast) and above all Have Fun!

3-Gun can be very addictive and now I only use a static range to sight-in as you pointed out, everything else can be boring.

The matches are held here:http://www.pcsirange.com/

Can't wait for the next one, tweaking my equipment as I post this!

My first one with the Saiga was a big learning lesson.

Like Ronswin said, watch the experts and have fun. They tend to shoot the stages a lot different than us regular folks. After I watch them, I always wonder why I did not shoot it that way. You have a great avatar. Spent 4 yrs as a 13 Bravo, some in the sand box.