Looking to Purchase a Saiga 12

I am looking to buy a Saiga-12 here in the coming months. I have very limited knowledge on the firearms and any of the differences between models, dates or manufacture, quirks of the firearms, etc. I am looking for some recommendations on a supplier, gun options, what to look for or look out for, etc. I was also looking for recommendations on additional options such as stocks, grips, sights, modifications, etc. I will be using the weapon as home defense mostly and trap/plinking on weekends. Looking for answers to listed questions such as:

1. 19" versus 22", I would assume 22" w/ no choke and the 19" if choke tubes are available.

2. Removeable choke or no choke/set choke (I do want to be able to shoot shot and slugs)

3. threaded or unthreaded barrels, is this available?

4. Magazines to purchase, 10 rd, drums, etc. and where to purchase

5. Sights, if needed

6. Stocks, (collapseable versus folding)

7. grips (please recommend)

8. Composite or standard materials

9. Gun refinishing, is it recommeded and if so, what type of finish

10. Anything else those with great knowledge can empart on a "green" buyer

I would also like to know if anyone can provide some links to possible sites I can purchase a good quality gun for a reasonable price.

Thanks all for the forum and for the support!

Regards,

J

Edited by jrmy_1
I am looking to buy a Saiga-12 here in the coming months. I have very limited knowledge on the firearms and any of the differences between models, dates or manufacture, quirks of the firearms, etc. I am looking for some recommendations on a supplier, gun options, what to look for or look out for, etc. I was also looking for recommendations on additional options such as stocks, grips, sights, modifications, etc. I will be using the weapon as home defense mostly and trap/plinking on weekends. Looking for answers to listed questions such as:

1. 19" versus 22", I would assume 22" w/ no choke and the 19" if choke tubes are available.

2. Removeable choke or no choke/set choke (I do want to be able to shoot shot and slugs)

5. Sights, if needed

I would also like to know if anyone can provide some links to possible sites I can purchase a good quality gun for a reasonable price.

Regards,

J

1) If your use is home self defense, trap, plinking, I would look for a 19" gun with the threaded muzzle cap.

2)I shoot both very effectively with what I just recommended in # 1.

3)Yes, most newer guns have the threaded muzzle and factory manual bolt hold open.

4)AGP 10 rounders can be bought from Mississippi Auto Arms when they have them in stock.

5)I added a side mount scope rail (low profile) and a red dot site.

6)Ace folding stocks are easy to install and very effective with out cutting or welding on the gun.

7)I modified my front forgrip, added a rail and installed a vertical grip. It works great.

8)I like composite but this is just preferrence.

9)Again, preferrence. I have not done mine because I have not cut or welded on the gun.

10)They are great guns and a ton of fun to shoot. However, prices are high due to a variety of factors. I would buy ASAP, even if I had to pay more than what others paid yesterday. Remember, if you are serious about owning one, what may have seemed as a high price today may be a deal tomorrow. Keep reading and looking through the posts as there are some very helpful and knowledgeable people on this site. Hope this helps, Scott

5. Sights, if needed

Regards,

J

1: Get the 19" since it is going to be a home defense gun.

2: Check out the PolyChoke. It's fully adjustable. I shoot slugs, buckshot, and birdshot through mine and love it.

3: If you get the 19" barrel (IZ109) it will be externally threaded.

4: Check out mississippiautoarms.com or AGParms.com MAA can place you on the backorder list. These are commonly out of stock EVERYWHERE!.

5: Sights aren't needed but are nice. Check out Krebs ghost ring sights. If in stock these are available from onesourcetactical.com or direct from krebscustom.com

6: Furniture are personal preference. Ace is great stuff, Tromix makes a nice stock (available through MAA), Tapco AK stocks are nice for the price, if you want real wood most people use foreign furniture and pay attention to the 922R compliance parts count. (check out "the law" section of these forums) It looks like a gas piston would get you just at compliance.

7: Grips are the same as above. I have a SAW grip on a saigatechusa trigger guard and love it. Notice how the grip mounts right where the factory places the trigger group. To do this conversion you need to purchase a new trigger group and locate it through the forward pre-cut hole that's blocked off by a plate riveted in place. Gut the receiver, drill out the rivets, remove the plate, reassemble using the new trigger group (counts as 3 US made compliance parts) I used the Tromix trigger group purchased through MAA and it was a simple drop in and go setup.

8: Whatever you like.

9: The professionals refinish the receivers. The home tinkerers just sand the bare metal clean, mask tape off the factory finish and spray it with Engine enamel. I don't need to tell you which looks better, but my spray painted receiver looks fine unless you are inspecting the nooks around the triggerguard. Even then I have to point out the difference for anyone to notice.

10:Search youtube for the saiga conversion videos. It's not as simply as just putting a new stock on unless you get the Saiga specific folder which uses the factory trigger group and location. That configuration still leaves the weapon front heavy.

Here in the U.S. the Saiga 12 is on national back order. My only advice is to keep an eye on these forums, call all of your local gun shops, and just keep looking. These guns are popping up on gunbroker in very limited quantities and are fetching $700+ unmodified easily!

Thanks for the info. guys! Greatly appreciated and keep it coming. I remember seeing some orders being placed for DIY conversion kits containing all the parts for the conversion. Are these orders still floating around out there?

Thanks for the info. guys! Greatly appreciated and keep it coming. I remember seeing some orders being placed for DIY conversion kits containing all the parts for the conversion. Are these orders still floating around out there?

Not many sell the whole kit.

But this was my piece by piece order:

AGP mags (counts as 3 required compliant parts)

Tromix trigger group from MAA (counts as 3 of the required compliance parts)

Tapco AK buttstock (counts as 1 compliant part)

Tapco SAW grip (counts as 1 compliant part)

Saigatechusa.com trigger guard kit

Krebs retainer plate (replaces Shepard's krook)

That's all that's required for the conversion. In fact, you could skip the krebs plate because the tromix trigger group came with a plate and a shepards krook so you can use whichever you feel comfortable with.

I would wait about a week or two before rushing off to buy one unless you must have it now. Word has it there will be some available. Nothing is 100% but that is the info I have

I'm waiting. I want a stock weapon and I would like to convert it myself. I have added my name to about 7 waitlists. Hopefully I'll be able to get ahold of one within the next couple months. I've seen a couple conversions for about $850 but I think I'll wait and do it myself.

Thanks all!

I would wait about a week or two before rushing off to buy one unless you must have it now. Word has it there will be some available. Nothing is 100% but that is the info I have

I'm waiting. I want a stock weapon and I would like to convert it myself. I have added my name to about 7 waitlists. Hopefully I'll be able to get ahold of one within the next couple months. I've seen a couple conversions for about $850 but I think I'll wait and do it myself.

Thanks all!

You put yourself on 7 wait lists? But,

But,

But,

Whatcha gonna do with the other six guns when you get 'em? :devil:

hehehe

You put yourself on 7 wait lists? But,

But,

But,

Whatcha gonna do with the other six guns when you get 'em? :devil:

hehehe

I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard to get rid of a couple and of course keep a couple, ehh?