What does this spring do?

I'm trying to draw up some plans for a bullpup kit I want to build for my Saiga-12. Right now I'm trying to figgure out how to attach a wire to activate the trigger mechanism remotely. The best way I can think of is to have a small wheel around one of the rods (rivets?) that passes through the trigger mechanisms. The wheel would be attached to the mechanism next to the circled spring in the picture. The wire would wind 3/4 of the way around the wheel and then be attached to it. (Please exuse my ignorance of the proper terms for these parts, I'm fairly new to firearms)

My question is: What does this spring do? It looks to me like it serves no function since I cant see anything moveable that it attaches to. Maybe I'm just being stupid, but can I remove this spring and add my wheel design there?

post-11016-1212384272_thumb.jpg

I notice it when I let go of the trigger on my stock s12, and not on any of my other AKM variants that I own or have owned.

that is an extra part as it is, but the spring itself is to help take up some trigger slop, and help give it return, and ALSO helps give the saiga a legally importable configuration.