OK, I've read dozens of threads here, but I am still confused about something, so let me pose a question and perhaps you all can enlighten me: as the Saiga rifle comes from Russia into the U.S., it's legal and in compliance, yes (even though all the parts are Russian)? So then, as I understand it, 922r comes into play the minute you make any modification to the factory config, right? And, once modded, it must have at least 10 U.S. made parts, right? So, how do you add, say, a pistol grip (1 part), stock (1 part) and FCG (3 parts) and remain in compliance, if all you've added are 5 U.S. parts? Sorry to be such a dimbulb here, but I'm just not gettin' it.

Edited by Shooterman
OK, I've read dozens of threads here, but I am still confused about something, so let me pose a question and perhaps you all can enlighten me: as the Saiga rifle comes from Russia into the U.S., it's legal and in compliance, yes (even though all the parts are Russian)? So then, as I understand it, 922r comes into play the minute you make any modification to the factory config, right? And, once modded, it must have at least 10 U.S. made parts, right? So, how do you add, say, a pistol grip (1 part), stock (1 part) and FCG (3 parts) and remain in compliance, if all you've added are 5 U.S. parts? Sorry to be such a dimbulb here, but I'm just not gettin' it.

922r doesn't apply as soon as you change just anything on the rifle. You can change some things, without worrying about 922r.

A pistol grip, any mag that holds more than 10 rounds (and I'm not sure if a muzzle device requires 922r compliance or not, check out the 922r section), will make you need to gain compliance.

You have the # of parts right, but still a little wrong. You need to have 10 or less foreign parts in the rifle to be 922r compliant, after adding said parts (PG or hi-cap mag). By adding a US made FCG, you get 3 parts, add a US made stock, you get 1 part. That's 4 US made parts, replacing 4 foreign made parts......from a total of 14 parts that are "counted" on a factory Saiga rifle. So you would be down to 10 foreign parts in your rifle, with a US made FCG and stock. Now you can use hi-cap mags, and put a pistol grip on it (a US made one).

Did that help, or confuse you more? :unsure:

922r doesn't apply as soon as you change just anything on the rifle. You can change some things, without worrying about 922r.

A pistol grip, any mag that holds more than 10 rounds (and I'm not sure if a muzzle device requires 922r compliance or not, check out the 922r section), will make you need to gain compliance.

You have the # of parts right, but still a little wrong. You need to have 10 or less foreign parts in the rifle to be 922r compliant, after adding said parts (PG or hi-cap mag). By adding a US made FCG, you get 3 parts, add a US made stock, you get 1 part. That's 4 US made parts, replacing 4 foreign made parts......from a total of 14 parts that are "counted" on a factory Saiga rifle. So you would be down to 10 foreign parts in your rifle, with a US made FCG and stock. Now you can use hi-cap mags, and put a pistol grip on it (a US made one).

No, that makes perfect sense now. Thanks. I may print this thread and pin it up, just so my lizard brain can re-absorb it. :rolleyes:

No, that makes perfect sense now. Thanks. I may print this thread and pin it up, just so my lizard brain can re-absorb it. :rolleyes:

No problem man :up: .

• 2 weeks later...

No problem man :up: .

I'm a new owner of a Saiga .308. I have ordered some FBMG 20 round mags. As soon as I "assemble" them to my rifle, the gun will not be in compliance until I replace at least one 922r part with a US made one (like gas tube or hand guard, for example) because the magazine counts for 3 parts. But then (after installing one US made part) "assembling" the original 8 round Russian made mag makes it once more in violation. In order to be able to use both import and US magazines, I have to have replaced 4 imported parts (besides the magazine) with US ones as you describe above.

Suppose I want to test the new US mags at the range before doing any conversion work. What kind of trouble could l get into and what is the risk that I could actually get into that trouble?

Edited by austin-tatious
I'm a new owner of a Saiga .308. I have ordered some FBMG 20 round mags. As soon as I "assemble" them to my rifle, the gun will not be in compliance until I replace at least one 922r part with a US made one (like gas tube or hand guard, for example) because the magazine counts for 3 parts. But then (after installing one US made part) "assembling" the original 8 round Russian made mag makes it once more in violation. In order to be able to use both import and US magazines, I have to have replaced 4 imported parts (besides the magazine) with US ones as you describe above.

Suppose I want to test the new US mags at the range before doing any conversion work. What kind of trouble could l get into and what is the risk that could happen?

Not at all.

Install a US gas piston or handguard.

When you are using 'evil' 'non sporting' US made 20 rounders, you'll be covered.

When you are using the factory 'sporting purpose' 'non-evil' 8 rounder, the rifle won't need 922r, and you'll just have a US made part in it.

Suppose I want to test the new US mags at the range before doing any conversion work. What kind of trouble could l get into and what is the risk that could happen?

Not at all.

Install a US gas piston or handguard.

When you are using 'evil' 'non sporting' US made 20 rounders, you'll be covered.

When you are using the factory 'sporting purpose' 'non-evil' 8 rounder, the rifle won't need 922r, and you'll just have a US made part in it.

So does this mean that I can buy US made magazines for my non-converted Saiga as long as I buy only 10 round magazines?

Duke of SD

So does this mean that I can buy US made magazines for my non-converted Saiga as long as I buy only 10 round magazines?

Duke of SD

Yes. You can use any 10 round magazine, no matter where they are from, in your rifle.