Spare parts for a Saiga?

I have several Saiga 7.62 x 39 rifles (unconverted). I know that AKs don't break many parts, but I want to have some on hand in case the parts become unobtainable in the future.

I have a spare parts gun, but I also want to have some extra parts for the bolt - firing pin, extractor, pins, and springs. It seems to me that these parts would be more likely to break.

I bought a couple of AK-74 repair kits from K-VAR. I know that the AK-47 firing pins and extractors are different than the ones in my Saiga's. The AK-74 extractor and firing pin fit into my Saiga bolt and they look very close to their Saiga counterparts. However, the arc on the extractor may be a little different which makes sense since the AK-74 is intended for a different size cartridge rim.

I'm interested in what Saiga 7.62 x 39 owners do for spare bolt parts? Has anyone broken a part on a Saiga?

Thanks,

I e-mailed K Var with the same question last month, and this is their reply:

The best and cheapest way to go ,is to get the AK-101S it works with the SAIGA as long as you head space it correctly. Thank you

Hope this helps. Let us all know if you order it, and if they fit. You could always just strip the needed parts of it and use the original bolt as well.

Edited by MacMan

The best and cheapest way to go ,is to get the AK-101S it works with the SAIGA as long as you head space it correctly. Thank you

Hope this helps. Let us all know if you order it, and if they fit. You could always just strip the needed parts of it and use the original bolt as well.

Yes, I remember that thread. I did buy two AK-101S bolts. Of course, the extractors and firing pins from the AK-101S bolts won't fit the Saiga bolt. Your mention of head space suggests that K Var is saying that if something breaks on the Saiga bolt to replace the entire bolt with the AK-101S bolt. Is that correct?

The AK-101S bolts are small stem bolts like the Saiga bolt, but the locking lugs and other features look a little different. Have you tried the AK-101S in a Saiga yet?

Thanks for the information.

Yes, I remember that thread. I did buy two AK-101S bolts. Of course, the extractors and firing pins from the AK-101S bolts won't fit the Saiga bolt. Your mention of head space suggests that K Var is saying that if something breaks on the Saiga bolt to replace the entire bolt with the AK-101S bolt. Is that correct?

The AK-101S bolts are small stem bolts like the Saiga bolt, but the locking lugs and other features look a little different. Have you tried the AK-101S in a Saiga yet?

No, I have not. I was just looking for replacement firepins and extractors. Have you tried the bolts in your gun?

I asked Dinzag about it, and he said that they are being anal about the head space, but the question remains, will they work in the Saiga? I don't have a head space gauge to check the tolerance.

I can't believe somebody on this forum cannot shed some definite light on this critical issue. I've emailed RAA, and they state that they don't have any replacement parts at this time, and don't know when they will. I'll email Tantal, maybe he can help.

Edited by MacMan

No, I have not. I was just looking for replacement firepins and extractors. Have you tried the bolts in your gun?

I asked Dinzag about it, and he said that they are being anal about the head space, but the question remains, will they work in the Saiga? I don't have a head space gauge to check the tolerance.

I can't believe somebody on this forum cannot shed some definite light on this critical issue. I've emailed RAA, and they state that they don't have any replacement parts at this time, and don't know when they will. I'll email Tantal, maybe he can help.

I haven't tried the AK-101S bolts in a Saiga. But, I do know that the AK-101S firing pin and extractor won't work in a Saiga bolt. The AK-101S firing pin is too fat to fit in the Saiga bolt and the AK-101S extractor is a AK-47 cylinder style extractor rather than the AK-74 claw style extractor used in the Saiga bolt. So, if the AK-101S is used in a Saiga it would have to be a complete bolt swap, which is what K-Var may have been saying when they talked about head space because just changing an extractor or firing pin shouldn't affect head space (I think).

It surprises me also that the spare parts issue hasn't really been addressed in this forum. I guess because AK parts seldom break. Don't know. However, those that teach AK training classes and see a LOT of AKs in action do report an occasional part breakage. Not frequent, but they do happen. Makes me uneasy that there isn't an obvious source for things like spare extractors which I think are the weak link in any semi-auto rifle. We'll all a chipped extractor away from having a real problem.

On their website, Saiga Stock states that they have or can obtain additional Saiga parts that they don't list on the website. I sent them an email asking about the availability of bolt parts.

Yeah, Saiga Stock is what RAA recommended me to try, too. I emailed Tantal. Still awaiting reply.

I appears you and I are the only ones that see the importance of this spare parts issue. In the coming Obama administration, spare parts as well as a vast array of semi auto firearms will be outlawed. The Ringknockers know this, and they will target the spare parts amongst other firearms related paraphernalia. If your gun breaks just one of these critical parts all you got is an expensive wall hanger.

We need to get on the stick with this. If the 101S bolt assy as a whole will work, then I'd get one for spare until we can find out more about the simpler springs etc. What a shame it would be if your liberty tool was out of service because a firing pin snapped, or the extractor suffered fatigue.

Keep us posted with what you find out, and I'll do the same. Many hands make for light work, and together maybe we can get to the bottom of this issue for everybody.

Yeah, Saiga Stock is what RAA recommended me to try, too. I emailed Tantal. Still awaiting reply.

I appears you and I are the only ones that see the importance of this spare parts issue. In the coming Obama administration, spare parts as well as a vast array of semi auto firearms will be outlawed. The Ringknockers know this, and they will target the spare parts amongst other firearms related paraphernalia. If your gun breaks just one of these critical parts all you got is an expensive wall hanger.

We need to get on the stick with this. If the 101S bolt assy as a whole will work, then I'd get one for spare until we can find out more about the simpler springs etc. What a shame it would be if your liberty tool was out of service because a firing pin snapped, or the extractor suffered fatigue.

Keep us posted with what you find out, and I'll do the same. Many hands make for light work, and together maybe we can get to the bottom of this issue for everybody.

I got an email from Saiga Stock saying they would email me when they got some more parts (unspecified) in. I'll post again when I have something to report.