iron sight improvements?

7.62x39, 20" bbl.

Grabbin at straws, but I'd like to pick the brains of those here and see if there are some easy ways to improve the iron sights. I like the ruggedness of the stock system, but have always wondered if it can be improved upon. Short of painting the front post a bright color, i'm at a loss.

I tried the Williams rear peep, but in all honesty it was truly a get what you pay for type of deal. Flimsy, chinsy. Popped off twice and had to adjust it out to the max (elevation thread ended up stripping). Looked goofy, and looked like the slightest bump would screw it up. Put the stock one back on then wondered why I even took it off. :rolleyes:

Thought about a scope, maybe a cheapie from Wal Mart? Doesnt have to be anything special. Just a plinkin/ SHTF gun.

Thought about a scope, maybe a cheapie from Wal Mart? Doesn't have to be anything special. Just a plinkin'/ SHTF gun.

Huh? I'd think you'd want your SHTF gun to be utterly reliable. But that said, I'd stay away from Wally World, there's nothing there worth the money. Just hit up a gun show or store and get yourself a decent 3-9x scope, maybe even a 1-4x. Scope quality is pretty well correlated to price, so don't get the cheapest, but don't bother getting the most expensive one either. I usually go for 2-3 steps up from the cheapest. I've heard it said that you want to spend as much on the glass as you did on the gun, but I don't have the cash for that. I have a Leapers 3-9x40 on my S-308, and it's still holding fine after 400+ rounds. If I had the money, I'd get a Millet DMS, or an Eotech, but that's a ways away.

Well, that's my schpiel,

Acer

good point ace. Guess I didn't learn my lesson from the peep sight. (~Sigh~) I could be just getting carried away and wringin my hands over nothing.

I seem to have run out of ideas for modifying/improving my rifle, it's just been such a fun project. Only other thing I could think of to do would be cut down the barrel and add a muzzle device of some sort, but not really worth the money or the trouble to me to save 4", besides the folding stock helps for storage and transport.

Well, I did read on a recent thread about someone that widens the notch, and radiuses the outer corners of the stock rear sight. Supposedly helps. And I painted my front sight post bright red with automotive touch up paint, seems to help a bit.

I've been wanting to put a brake on mine, just a bit of trepidation at the thought of messing up my 16" barrel.

Acer