I just tried out my Steyr 95 long rifle. It's great. If you guys ever see one, I heartily reccomend 'em. Straight pull bolt action, powerful oomph-ing cartridge, nifty loading procedure (en-bloc clips) and otherwise very neat. And the carbines can be had for $100 or less.

I've seen a couple of arsenal refinished M95's that I seriously thought about getting. They are somewhat odd, but still very good looking. How did yours shoot?

What kind of accuracy were you getting with it? Surplus ammo, or handloads (hehe)? As I've heard it, they weren't generally very accurate, but I'm not sure I can take those sources seriously. Anyway, thanks in advance. Good luck and safe shooting.

Who cares about accuracy! Foot wide fireball out the end of the muzzle!

Actually, did about six inches at about 75 yards, though I wasn't really trying, just attempting to figure out how it functioned. The sights start gradiation at something like 300m, so it's mostly guesswork. Still, as a sheer blaster they rate up there with my Mosin 1891 long-rifles. Slightly more bang from the Steyr, but it's marginally tougher to operate than a conventional bolt.

Ok, that's an acceptable answer. In a gun like the M95, accuracy is really just "nice to have", not "necessary". I must admit I have something of a weakness for straight pull bolt action rifles. On that subject, the K31 Schmidt Rubins are fun too, except for the straight upward ejection ( :lolol: ). The only thing that would make me hesitate on an M95 is the price of ammo. At least 7.5 Swiss has reloading components available.

You can get reloadable brass now, just came onto the market a few months ago, and tins of Austrian or German are about $50/250 from SOG. I don't have patience for reloading. Ammo comes preassembled in big tin cans from far-away.

You could always get a M-95/24... those are rechambered for 8x57 Mauser, featuring stripper clip guides and an integral loading frame.