S-20 Range Report

Just wanted to report on the success I had with the 20Ga Saiga S-20.

I used 3" shells only, Kent 3" 7/8oz and Winchester DRYLOK 3" 1oz (1330FPS).

Both brands at their respective cartridge sizes cycled flawlessly, 100% chambered and fired everytime. One of the Winchesters must have had a poor primer, it chambered in, but failed to fire when struck.

In total, fired 125 shells, with a success rate of 124/125 and the failure was due to a defective shell and not the firearm. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy. This was the first outing at the range with this weapon, never before fired, and bought new in the box.

I must ask myself though, when would it be a suitable time to switch to the 2.75" shells? I want to break in the S-20 adequately with the 3" shells and to keep my confidence with the S-20 at a high level, dont want any FTE, FTF or Stovepipes when I switch over to dampen my faith in the reliability of the waepon. I am considering 500 rds of 3" before the switch, will have to report back on how that goes when I re-stock on ammo.

Overall, I'm truly really happy with the S-20, and consider it a good addition to the family, and I have to ask myself, how much different would the S-12 have been? Is it that much better to be so much more sought after and at such a difference in acquisition cost?

The shotgun is currently still in a factory configuration, and awaiting parts for a full PG/FCG conversion from the dinzag the great!

Just wanted to report on the success I had with the 20Ga Saiga S-20.

I used 3" shells only, Kent 3" 7/8oz and Winchester DRYLOK 3" 1oz (1330FPS).

Both brands at their respective cartridge sizes cycled flawlessly, 100% chambered and fired everytime. One of the Winchesters must have had a poor primer, it chambered in, but failed to fire when struck.

In total, fired 125 shells, with a success rate of 124/125 and the failure was due to a defective shell and not the firearm. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy. This was the first outing at the range with this weapon, never before fired, and bought new in the box.

I must ask myself though, when would it be a suitable time to switch to the 2.75" shells? I want to break in the S-20 adequately with the 3" shells and to keep my confidence with the S-20 at a high level, dont want any FTE, FTF or Stovepipes when I switch over to dampen my faith in the reliability of the waepon. I am considering 500 rds of 3" before the switch, will have to report back on how that goes when I re-stock on ammo.

Overall, I'm truly really happy with the S-20, and consider it a good addition to the family, and I have to ask myself, how much different would the S-12 have been? Is it that much better to be so much more sought after and at such a difference in acquisition cost?

The shotgun is currently still in a factory configuration, and awaiting parts for a full PG/FCG conversion from the dinzag the great!

I'd try running some low brass 2 3/4" shells through it and see how it cycles them on the 2nd gas piston setting of course. For some reason I've always had problems with the higher brass shells, but low brass cycles flawlessly in my S20. I just got done doing my conversion and am awaiting an original style AK stock from Dinzag as well :D

I'd try running some low brass 2 3/4" shells through it and see how it cycles them on the 2nd gas piston setting of course. For some reason I've always had problems with the higher brass shells, but low brass cycles flawlessly in my S20. I just got done doing my conversion and am awaiting an original style AK stock from Dinzag as well :D

A friend of mine has some High Brass 2.75" shells, will try to get up with him today sometime to fire some of those off and see how that goes. Sadly I doubt I can find low brass 2.75 on the island.

Will report further.

A friend of mine has some High Brass 2.75" shells, will try to get up with him today sometime to fire some of those off and see how that goes. Sadly I doubt I can find low brass 2.75 on the island.

Will report further.

Where are you located that you couldn't find 2 3/4" low brass shells? If there's a Walmart around you, you can find them :P The Winchester bulk packs of 20 gauge are low brass IIRC. Well, good luck and safe shooting!

-Chad

Will report further.

Where are you located that you couldn't find 2 3/4" low brass shells? If there's a Walmart around you, you can find them :P The Winchester bulk packs of 20 gauge are low brass IIRC. Well, good luck and safe shooting!

-Chad

Actually living in the Bahamas, so no Wal-Mart unfortunately, but next time I travel to the USA I will be looking to pick up a case of those if they are well recommended! The 3" are operating so beautifully, but they are very expensive for just plinking to break-in the gun.

Getting only about 65% clean fires with the 2.75" 7/8oz Estates (High Brass) Cartridges. Going back to the 3" Magnums for a few more hundred rounds, those are working well.

Still very pleased with the Saiga shotgun.

Hey if you have a BHO, then store the weapon with the bolt held back. That may help some with breaking in the spring. I know I've heard that it's not compression, but rather repeated compressing, that weakens a spring, but it won't hurt to try.

Sounds like you are going at it from the right angle though.

Hey if you have a BHO, then store the weapon with the bolt held back. That may help some with breaking in the spring. I know I've heard that it's not compression, but rather repeated compressing, that weakens a spring, but it won't hurt to try.

Sounds like you are going at it from the right angle though.

Thanks for the heads up Cobra! After reading the forum for quite a while, I think the best option, and I'm struggling to afford it, is to beat her into submission. She is performing really well with the 3" Magnums, and I will continue to try those until about 500-600 shells have been shot thru, and then try the 2.75" shells again. Hopefully, the results will be in the high 80s or 90s for good fires.

She'll straighten up bro. Just keep the beatings up she will have to submit eventually...lol. Wish it was that easy with everything....

Ok...I think this worked pretty good for my S-20. Fired 200 rds 3" Magnum loads thru her, 200/200 100% cycled flawlessly. Switched over to port #2 and tried a few 2.75" Estate #4 Steel Shot, 12/12 100% cycled flawlessly. Ran out of ammo, or else I would have shot more 2.75s.

Only complaint, the cartridges are ejecting pretty weak. Only kicking out the 2.75" cartridges about 3-4 feet from the shooting position. The 3" Magnums get blasted out about 8-10 feet easy.

All in all, really happy right now with the S-20...its a green light for the full AKS-20 conversion by end of September!!!