Hello all,

After lurking this site for a while, I decided to post. I have a few questions if I may.

I just purchased a 308 21" barrel, wood stock, it comes in to my FFL tomorrow. pix619297046.jpg

My questions are;

1) BHO accessory, can you get this for a 308? If so could someone post a link?

2) Is the barrel chromed lined?

3) What ammo do you fire through yours? Do you use brass case/cooper jacket or do you use Ruskies with a steel jacket?

4) Flash hider? What threads (LH/RH) do I use and size?

I purchased 2 25 round Surefire Mags and a POSP side mount rail. I wanted to put a T6 collapsible stock and hand guard on her (still debating waiting for the weapon to come in) the collapsible stock I find easily, the hand guard is the issue.

I did not want to paint or sell the original stock in case I want to sell later.

5) Can I put an AK Polymer hand guard on her? I doubt it because of the size.

6) If I do decide to stick with the wood stock, does anyone here know where I can get a wooden pistol grip for her? Can I install one on with the original stock or do I have to modify anything? Will I be violating any 922R regulations?

TIA

1) A manual bolt hold-open is standard. I don't know of an automatic one except for the Surefiregunmags LRBHO follower in their mags.

2) The barrel is chrome lined.

3) Any .308 ammo should work fine. I have used Remington Core-Lokt and Federal Premium (I use the gun for hunting) with good results.

4) Contact Dinzagarms.com for more info. on gun mods and hardware.

5) An AK grip can be used, but you must then deal with 922r. You would also really need to do the PG conversion. By the way, I highly recommend doing the conversion. It is really easy with the .308. Get a PG conversion FCG from Dinzag, and the trigger pull will be vastly better than with the factory FCG IMO.

6) I don't see how a PG would work well in conjunction with the original stock.

Thank you for the response, if I do decide to change the trigger group should I go with the G2 trigger single or double hook and why? Or out of all of the triggers (FCG) listed on Dinza's website which is the best?

Added:

Is the Surefire Mag a US made mag? and if so does it count as 3?

Thanks again GL08

Edited by Gunlover_2008

+1 to what Will said. If you are converting the .308, get the PG conversion FCG for the .308. It is more expensive, but it addresses ALL of the issues peculiar to using a new FCG in a Saiga .308. On Dinzag's site, he enumerates all the mods he does to the G2 to make it work just right as a "drop in" part for a Saiga .308. Once you put one of Dinzag's FCGs in, the trigger pull will be SWEET! I also use a molybdenum disulfide dry lube on the FCG parts (fromSentrysolutions.com) to make them extra smooth.

The Surefire mags do count as 3 compliance parts, but it is best to stay away from using mag parts to achieve compliance if you can. Do the PG conversion using U.S. components (PG, stock, and FCG), and you should be fine.

Dinzag's modded .308 fcg is real good.

The Surefires are US made, and it does count as 3 parts.

Thanks Will, may I ask another question please? Which one might that be? I do not see "Dinzag's modded .308 fcg" in the list :eek::lol:

http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/misc_parts.html

Is it a single or double hook? I hear that they are no different from each other and would not make a difference. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks GL08

Check here. It's the one for $80 (FCGPGC2 fcg for pistol grip converted Saiga-308), and well worth the price IMHO. It is a single hook. There is no real advantage to the double hook, and using a double hook FCG would complicate the conversion slightly.

Edited by hogdog

OK.

.308 will take any .308 or 7.62x51mm ammo. Steel, brass, surplus, commercial. Mine likes the 150gr stuff

don't put those surefire mags in without removing foreign parts (ala conversion)

These guns are not ARs. Some stuff has to be fitted (Mags etc.) but, they're not ARs so you can do it yourself.

If you ever have questions, ask away, we're here to help.

Lithuanian Surplus .308 Reloadable $520/1000rds ammoman.com 147gr. Shoots wonderfully.

Brown Bear .308 - Ammunitiontogo.com $340ish for 1000... steel cased. Shoots well but not as good as the Lithuanian.

Have a great day!

OK.

.308 will take any .308 or 7.62x51mm ammo. Steel, brass, surplus, commercial. Mine likes the 150gr stuff

don't put those surefire mags in without removing foreign parts (ala conversion)

These guns are not ARs. Some stuff has to be fitted (Mags etc.) but, they're not ARs so you can do it yourself.

Lithuanian Surplus .308 Reloadable $520/1000rds ammoman.com 147gr. Shoots wonderfully.

Brown Bear .308 - Ammunitiontogo.com $340ish for 1000... steel cased. Shoots well but not as good as the Lithuanian.

Have a great day!

Just wanted to give a heads up, I just got 1000 rds from Widener's 2007 production for $490 - $517 shipped.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=7240

They also have Lithuanian for the same price. 2003-2004 production.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8644

and also some German ammo, steel jacket.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8627

PMP for $230 for 500

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8546

I figured I'd share.........

Thanks for all of the info ladies & gentes I do appreciate it. The thing is I did not want to get rid of the stock she is beautiful.

OK.

Have a great day!

Saiganoobie where in Lauderdale? I am in West Palm Beach...

OK.

Have a great day!

Awesome... also all ammoman prices include shipping....

I live east of 95 just south of Commercial Blvd. How far north are ya?

OK.

Have a great day!

Awesome... also all ammoman prices include shipping....

I live east of 95 just south of Commercial Blvd. How far north are ya?

$490 + shipping, it cost me $517.05 for 1000 rds shipped to me.

Belvedere & Haverhill maybe we'll get together one day, I can not remember is there an outdoor range down their? The nearest one to me would be PBSO across from Lion Country Safari. The one in Jupiter will not allow surplus weapons, the owner is an arse, he is the gunsmith at Gator Guns, he will not work on them either. It is a good thing that I can fix my issues myself.

$490 + shipping, it cost me $517.05 for 1000 rds shipped to me.

Belvedere & Haverhill maybe we'll get together one day, I can not remember is there an outdoor range down their? The nearest one to me would be PBSO across from Lion Country Safari. The one in Jupiter will not allow surplus weapons, the owner is an arse, he is the gunsmith at Gator Guns, he will not work on them either. It is a good thing that I can fix my issues myself.

I see. Well if you find 595 and go to the west until the world ends there is a nice outdoor range I shoot at... best thing is they are open until 9pm on weds. and have a fully lit 100yrd range.

Well I got a 308 today, yes a 308 not the rifle I had bought. The rifle arrived at my FFL and when we opened it up it had a black stock on it 21" barrel, oil bottle, cleaning rod & kit, 1 mag. You should have seen the look on my face it was sad. :eek::wet_eyes:

The box and receipt had a different SN# on them then the actual weapon and the receipt was in the name of the FFL. I called the seller and of course he did not know what had happened, so he calls me back after about 8 minutes with the explanation apparently the stock had a crack in it. He did have another one but it also had a crack in it.

Pros:

1) gives me a good reason to swap out the stock to a collapsible without having to worry about the hand guard.

Cons:

1) I really wanted that wood stock.

2) Already had purchased a POSP side rail.

3) Purchased 2 25 round mags.

4) Purchased 1000 rds of 308.

5) Front sight on the edge of barrel can not put a muzzle brake on it.

Anyhow, I purchased this for $480 and they are giving me back $125, so it came out to $355.

Speaking about the FS, can I move the FS back so that I can put a brake on it?

TIA

Yes you can, but it will take some smithing.

OK I'll ask, is it because that notches exist where the pins go through? I believe I saw some bolt on FS on this web, I may get one of those. I am thinking of moving the FS all the way to the gas tube or just before it.

OK here we go as I stated in my previous post that I might move the FS towards the gas tube and now that I have seen it I am going to do it, please tell me what you think:

gallery_12142_227_77258.jpg

A few more questions, please forgive me if already asked, I have tried searching for these questions to no avail, the search engine could use some work.

Is this a milled receiver?

gallery_12142_227_215364.jpg

Another thing I noticed is that this weapon does not have even the single slot next to the trigger, am I missing something here?

med_gallery_12142_227_179780.jpg

Thanks again gents & ladies (are there any ladies in this group?)

Saiga receivers are all stamped.

By "single slot," I assume that you mean the cutout for the single hook trigger. It is hidden under that plate just in front of the trigger guard. If you take the receiver cover off and look inside, you should be able to see it. If you do a conversion, that cutout is where the new trigger will go. The cutout where the factory swept back trigger comes out will not be used. If you look carefully near the stock trigger from the inside, you should be able to see if the PG nut hole is already cut.

It's Stamped.

The cuts for the single hook are under that plate infront of your current trigger position. Look at it from above. (Inside)

Man, come on down one week night (Weds.) and I'll teach you all about your new toy.

Saiga receivers are all stamped.

By "single slot," I assume that you mean the cutout for the single hook trigger. It is hidden under that plate just in front of the trigger guard. If you take the receiver cover off and look inside, you should be able to see it. If you do a conversion, that cutout is where the new trigger will go. The cutout where the factory swept back trigger comes out will not be used. If you look carefully near the stock trigger from the inside, you should be able to see if the PG nut hole is already cut.

I have looked far and wide for the PG nut hole and can not find her. Also the safety selector will not raise up any further then what is shown in the PIC, I took this baby all apart today to get the feel for the disassembly of this weapon.

PG:

gallery_12142_227_223580.jpg

gallery_12142_227_123458.jpg

Safety Lever:

gallery_12142_227_21641.jpg

It looks like the trigger is in the way...

Thanks as usual

OK I figured out that the PG does not go on the receiver but is attached to the buttstock itself.

tampico%20004.JPG

The stock you pictured is a modified Tapco T6 that has a PG added to it. You can use that type, but then you are stuck with the same old factory trigger. The conventional position for a PG IS attached to the receiver. Look under the stamped trigger, at about the point where the safety wing passes over it. The PG nut hole should be just visible if it is there. Some .308s don't have the PG hole pre-cut. I was lucky, as mine did. Others have reported that cutting the PG hole themselves was not hard. If you do have to cut it yourself, make sure to locate it correctly. I think someone on the forum posted a printable template at some point.

As for the safety lever, it will come out easily once the trigger is out. That is basically a matter of unhooking the retaining wire and pushing out two pins.

Edited by hogdog
The stock you pictured is a modified Tapco T6 that has a PG added to it. You can use that type, but then you are stuck with the same old factory trigger. The conventional position for a PG IS attached to the receiver. Look under the stamped trigger, at about the point where the safety wing passes over it. The PG nut hole should be just visible if it is there. Some .308s don't have the PG hole pre-cut. I was lucky, as mine did. Others have reported that cutting the PG hole themselves was not hard. If you do have to cut it yourself, make sure to locate it correctly. I think someone on the forum posted a printable template at some point.

As for the safety lever, it will come out easily once the trigger is out. That is basically a matter of unhooking the retaining wire and pushing out two pins.

Hogdog I really appreciate your input but what you are saying does not make any since due to the fact that as you can see by the pictures I posted there is no room for the PG hole, look carefully at post # 18 picture 2 & 3 the trigger guard is at the end of the receiver, there is no more room after it. From what you are saying the PG hole would be right after the trigger and as you can see by picture #1 in post # 21 shows the revet that holds the trigger guard, you can actually see the trigger guard right underneath it.

The way you are explaining this is I would have to modify the entire weapon to do. Remember that this is not an AK it's a Saiga. I have a Tapco pistol grip on my SKS I'll will take it apart and show you with pics and hope that it will make since to you. I have no idea if the 223/X39 receivers are different or even the shotguns, but this sucker does not have a PG hole.

Thanks

OK I have figured out the problem and I am right the grip can not go on the receiver itself. Here is the problem:

Look at these 2 pictures, another poster posted his 308 that he is doing a bubba job on, pic 1 my receiver:

gallery_12142_227_215364.jpg

The next is another posters weapon 308:

000_0365.jpg

What is wrong with this picture? Look at the trigger guard and it's position, mine is back away from the mag release, the other posters is right next to it. So there is my problem they put my trigger in the incorrect spot.

Why they would do this is beyond me, so my next question is am I going to have a problem with the conversion to the G2 trigger system?

In order to do a standard pistol grip conversion on your .308, or on any Saiga, you have to move the trigger group forward, and that also frees up room for the pistol grip. You will be able to use the G2 trigger group.

Watch this series of videos on how to convert from standard config to PG. This should anwser alot of questions you may have.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :super:, that was the best explanation possible, you must modify the trigger guard, in it's current location lies the PG hole. Now ask me if I am going to do this???? NOT :D

It sucks that his second clip he did not have the video pointed at what he was doing, also how did he bolt on the trigger guard, the front he put under the mag release but how did he tighten the rear down?

Where do you get the replacement pins?

Thanks again Monte, you da man.....

In order to do a standard pistol grip conversion on your .308, or on any Saiga, you have to move the trigger group forward, and that also frees up room for the pistol grip. You will be able to use the G2 trigger group.

Yes thank you