Hello

I went to the range yesterday to have a little fun. There were 8 other people at the range so it kind of restricts what you can do. My son & I had a quick 1 hour session.

Here are my thoughts on my Saiga.

The inexpensive scope was a waste of $30 & I know you get what you pay for. I am going to remove the scope & go with the iron sights from now on.

The $14 forward vertical handgrip with internal bipod worked great. I recommend getting one of them.

The 47 round master will not fit in the Saiga with the vertical handgrip installed so I mounted the handgrip to the side & fired the Saiga from the hip with the 47 round MM magazine. Firing this many rounds through the rifle really heats up the entire rifle.

So the Saiga will now have iron sights only with forward vertical handgrip & 30 round Surefire magazines.

I am ready to take offers for the Scope mount & the 47 round MM magazines.

post-9422-1217858730_thumb.jpg

First, 47 rd. mags are too much IMHO...30's are ok, I prefer 20's nowdays to be honest. (added weight, added heat if you fire that much)

2nd, your scope is mounted too high - s/b as close to the bbl as possible for accuracy.

3rd, You don't really need a scope w/ a Saiga, unless you are hunting w/ it from a stand - just adds weight and not much benifit from 50 - 100 yds. where you should use this rifle anyway. Saigas are Not Hunting Rifles, it's more of a SHTF assualt type rifle That Can Be Used For Hunting if the need arises. You can hit a 4" cirlce w/ Iron sights with a Saiga 7.62 @ 100 yds. - that's good enouhg to kill most anything you'll need it for IMHO.

(I've had multiple scopes & Red Dots on My 7.62, but you know what? Mine sits today w/ nothing but the std. Iron sights & I'm keeping her that way!)

Now, since I took the picture, I will show you what my .223 Saiga can do w/ Irons alone @ 50 yds. :

post-7063-1217876934_thumb.jpg

whered you pick up that vertical grip with internal bipod so cheap? Ive seen em here at local gun shows but for more than that, ~$30 or so.

What kind of scope mount is that? I was given a nice scope and thought I might try it on the Saiga, just because I dont have the best eye sight in the world. what are you lookin to get for it??

Thanks.

Edited by bigdough666
First, 47 rd. mags are too much IMHO...30's are ok, I prefer 20's nowdays to be honest. (added weight, added heat if you fire that much)

2nd, your scope is mounted too high - s/b as close to the bbl as possible for accuracy.

3rd, You don't really need a scope w/ a Saiga, unless you are hunting w/ it from a stand - just adds weight and not much benifit from 50 - 100 yds. where you should use this rifle anyway. Saigas are Not Hunting Rifles, it's more of a SHTF assualt type rifle That Can Be Used For Hunting if the need arises. You can hit a 4" cirlce w/ Iron sights with a Saiga 7.62 @ 100 yds. - that's good enouhg to kill most anything you'll need it for IMHO.

(I've had multiple scopes & Red Dots on My 7.62, but you know what? Mine sits today w/ nothing but the std. Iron sights & I'm keeping her that way!)

Now, since I took the picture, I will show you what my .223 Saiga can do w/ Irons alone @ 50 yds. :

post-7063-1217876934_thumb.jpg

I would agree that there is no need for a 47round mag. Besides being heavy good luck finding anything to carry it that can be easily accessed.

The scope again I agree on targets you plan on spitting alot of rounds at a scope is completely worthless. But at the 50-100 yards you don't even use the sights in a combat situation. I have engaged targets in Fallujah at those ranges and never used my scope on them. Scopes are for slow fire and if you know how to shoot are just another tool to make you more accurate. As long as it magnifies more than your eye can then it's helping. I've only slow fired at 150+ yard targets accept for getting a BZO. At that range a good scope with mil dots helps with leading a target, getting a more accurate range and wind corrections. You just need to know your weapon, scope and what you are doing.

Just practice, practice and practice some more with your weapon. It will become an extension of your body and is what you need if you want it to keep you alive. I see people all the time with 50+ fire arms and aren't comfortable with any of them. Get 3-4 weapons and get so comfortable with any of them that you stop thinking about where things are on the weapon you just know. I have a Remington 870, my Saiga 7.62x39 and I'm going to be buying a Mossburg 100atr for targets at range. Got everything covered and I don't need 50+ guns to do it. Also will promise you in about 5 months I will be so comfortable with all of them that I can handle each blind folded and under pressure.

Just my .02,

Thanks,

Merritt

USMC SGT vet.