Anybody here going to NC Recon at the end of Sept?

It's a 3-gun match, one day rifle/pistol, one day shotgun/pistol.

Gunfixr,

I'll be there as this is one of my favorite 3-gun matches. On Sunday with the shotgun stages be sure to bring heavy shot (and at least a modified or tighter choke) as the steel plates on Frank Glover's range feel like small manhole covers. PM me for more info.

Edited by Ronswin

RonSwin is a great guy, while he was in Iraq he let me borrow a bunch of his 8 round magazines that was back when they were the only high cap mags you could get. The really cool thing is that Ron had not yet met me face to face just helping out a fellow Saiga owner. Ron is truly a great guy and a good friend! Oorha

Aww.....Shucks Guys! C' mon you're making me blush here! I guess I got #7 here because I'm old enough to remember when the number was first invented. Seriously though, using a Saiga-12 back then in competition meant having half a dozen 5-round mags and learning to change them out often.

A friend from our local gun club, who also happens to shoot Black Creek, has been trying to get me to go to this match for a couple years now. This will be my first Recon.

Another friend who shoots Black Creek is also going. We are getting a case of high brass 3 3/4 drams of powder under 1 1/4 oz. of #4 shot, as opposed to the low brass 3 1/4 drams of powder under 1 1/8 oz. of #7 1/2 shot we use at Black Creek. My friend who's been going for years advises me that this load will work fine. Also, I'm taking the Saiga, which has a PolyChoke, so I can have whatever choke I want.

I'm gonna take one of my FALs, as it's set up pretty much perfect, with a 1.5-6x40 scope, and Harris bipod. Also, it's compensated to recoil of .223 or less. I'll take my 92 Taurus 9mm, as I have a solid holster and plenty of mags for it. Plus, I think (I'll make sure first) that my .308 vest will hold my AGPs, so less gear to take.

Ron,

Can you give us a run down on the rules, it's petty similar to trooper class right?

Yup, all ammo and firearms are carried for duration of each day during the match (no carts or wagons for the gear/ ammo). Rifles/ pistols Saturday and shotgun/ pistol on Sunday. Slings for all long guns and a positive retention holster for the pistol is required (I prefer the Blackhawk Serpa dropleg). I suggest a tactical vest and/ or a small day pack with a hydration system. Keep in mind that the gear worn will have to fit through doorways and sometimes into vehicles as part of some stages. Longest rifle shot is usually less than 300 yds. and slug shots sometimes out to 75 yds. All round counts are Minimum so bring almost twice as much as necessary. There are no class divisions (perhaps Ironman) and you are assigned to a squad and move from stage to stage as a squad. And this year there will be an optional bolt-action rifle "sniper" side match for those who have an accurate bolt gun with good optics. The match director is Dennis Heath (dennisheath@att.net). Oh, and usually you have to have a fixed blade knife (with sheath) on your gear.

Edited by Ronswin