Tactical Rifle Matches in Birmingham, Alabama

I just found this section of the forum after being away from the boards for a while...I just recently finished a conversion of a .308 to use in the Tactical Rifle matches at Steel City Sports SHooting Assosciation in Birmingham, Alabama ( www.scssa.org).

What started as an offshoot from some rifle stages after monthly IDPA matches has turned into a monster we are excited to host and run. Matches are suaully in each month that has a the 5th SAturday. We just had a match over the Labor Day weekend and had 87 shooters (on LAbor Day Weekend!!!), so you can see how popular this match is.

It is run by two gentlemen, David Tapp and Ron Holland. I also help promote the match and with registration and some stage design.

We usually have 6-8 stages in a regular match while our annual Spring match has 10-12 ad is shot over 2 days. Our first Annual Spring Match filled the 100 shooter slots in about 3 days. Most shooting is about 25 meters or less , but we also have one stage out to 300 meters and the big match in the spring usually has a few 100 meter stages as well.

A lot of the guys shoot ARs in both 5.56 and 7.62, some shoot M1As and we even have one guy that shoots a garand. As of yet we haven't had any Saiga shooters. I plan on changing that in the upcoming match (November-Thanksgiving weekend)

pics:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&...35&t=322225

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&...31&t=311242

Official Wenpage:

http://www.scssa.org/toppage2.htm

Spoon

Sweet. If I can ever get the scope on my .308 sighted in properly, I'd like to check this out. What does it involve? Is it basically a bunch of people shooting at various sized targets at various distances?

BTW, your real name isn't Sterling, by any chance, is it? I had talked to a guy named Sterling that used the handle "spoon"-something on a local car forum, and he dealt with the guns for a chain of pawn shops, I believe.

Sweet. If I can ever get the scope on my .308 sighted in properly, I'd like to check this out. What does it involve? Is it basically a bunch of people shooting at various sized targets at various distances?

BTW, your real name isn't Sterling, by any chance, is it? I had talked to a guy named Sterling that used the handle "spoon"-something on a local car forum, and he dealt with the guns for a chain of pawn shops, I believe.

The natch is run like many other formats such as 3-gun, IDPA and IPSC. Stages are set and descriptions are posted. Each group has a trained Ranger Officer to guide the squad through the match. (Range Officers usually shoot the match on Friday befoe the regular match).

Each shooter comes to the line and is timed while going through the stage. POints are deducted for shot placement and you either neutralize a targte or not. An un-neutralized target is a 10 second penalty. A Hit on Non-Threat target is a 5 second penalty (I think). Low score wins each class.

WE also use swingers, movers flash and reduced size targets.

And no, my name is NOT Sterling, thereisnospoon came from the "Matrix" movie and it has stuck ever since.

Hope to see you at the next match! (Thanksgiving)