Saiga 12 shorty reliability

I have a registered sbs Saiga 12 with a 8.5 inch barrel. I have to clean out the gas port after around 40 rounds or else I start getting failure to eject problems. I have had the gas setting on position 2 while firing walmart birdshot and was wondering if setting it on position 1 would decrease the grim clogging the gas port ? I won't be able to get out to shoot until next weekend to try the different setting and was wondering if anyone has this problem.Does a 8.5 inch barrel clog faster then a fullsize ? Weapon runs perfectly when it is clean and I would just like to be able to shoot more rounds before having to clean...Thanks.....David

How was it shortened..did you modify the gas system, other than drilling out the gas hole bigger?

Sent it out for modifications and not sure what was done other then the gas hole enlarged. Runs perfectly on setting 2 using birdshot but after around 30 or 40 rounds shells dont eject . When I take off the gas cap to clean inside it's already almost full of gunk even after just 40 rounds.