Hello again... I have just managed to get a new SAIGA shotgun from my local firearm dealer. I also managed to find some 5 and 10 round mag's on-line and get them. So far so good.

Now for the questions, my SAIGA has a side rail which look similar to my AK47's so I'm assuming it will take a AK47 mount. I want to add basic red dot optic to it. I have seen a AK47 mount with a weaver top from Cheater Than Dirt (CTD) that I could mount a basic red dot to. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

I would also like to replace the standrd cheapo stock on my SAIGA with a folder and a pistol grip. I have seen some AK47 kits that include the folder, pistol grip and forend at CTD for an AK47.

Isn't the stock on the SAIGA the same as the AK47? Can I use these AK47 folder stocks or are they too weak or incompatible? Also any legal considerations?

I think the 20 round drum looks very cool I just noticed I missed the 2nd production round by a few days, go figure. Cool is neat but is it practical? Would I be better off just getting more 5 & 10 rounds rather than a few 20's?.

Last item I saw mention of a shootout in Michigan, I'm near Lansing and if I'm close I'd love to come. I'd like to bring my Chineese SAS20 12 Gauge Mag feed shotgun as well. Where in Michigan?

Thanks

Hello again... I have just managed to get a new SAIGA shotgun from my local firearm dealer. I also managed to find some 5 and 10 round mag's on-line and get them. So far so good.

Now for the questions, my SAIGA has a side rail which look similar to my AK47's so I'm assuming it will take a AK47 mount. I want to add basic red dot optic to it. I have seen a AK47 mount with a weaver top from Cheater Than Dirt (CTD) that I could mount a basic red dot to. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Yes. Regular AK side-mounted rails will work on Saigas.

I would also like to replace the standrd cheapo stock on my SAIGA with a folder and a pistol grip. I have seen some AK47 kits that include the folder, pistol grip and forend at CTD for an AK47.

Isn't the stock on the SAIGA the same as the AK47? Can I use these AK47 folder stocks or are they too weak or incompatible? Also any legal considerations?

Any stock that is made for stamped AK's will fit Saigas after moving the trigger forward. There is no federal laws against side folders, but some states still have bans on certain things. Keep 922r in mind when converting your Saiga.

I think the 20 round drum looks very cool I just noticed I missed the 2nd production round by a few days, go figure. Cool is neat but is it practical? Would I be better off just getting more 5 & 10 rounds rather than a few 20's?.

Practical can mean different things to different people. I'd get at least 1 drum :D .

Last item I saw mention of a shootout in Michigan, I'm near Lansing and if I'm close I'd love to come. I'd like to bring my Chineese SAS20 12 Gauge Mag feed shotgun as well. Where in Michigan?

Click --> http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=29640

Thanks

Edited by 22_Shooter

Thank you, I probably should have said reliable rather than practical but from what I have heard the MD Arms 20 round drum is reliable. Looks like I will try to order one.

"Move the trigger forward" that sounds difficult is it something I or a local gunsmith can do? Any chance ther are some specs or prints on the trigger move?

I looked at the forum post you attached and it doesn't seem to indicate where in Michigan the shoot is. I'm getting old and don't see as well or I am beyond help ;-)

Yes. Regular AK side-mounted rails will work on Saigas.

Any stock that is made for stamped AK's will fit Saigas after moving the trigger forward. There is no federal laws against side folders, but some states still have bans on certain things. Keep 922r in mind when converting your Saiga.

Practical can mean different things to different people. I'd get at least 1 drum :D .

Click --> http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=29640

Thanks

Thank you, I probably should have said reliable rather than practical but from what I have heard the MD Arms 20 round drum is reliable. Looks like I will try to order one.

"Move the trigger forward" that sounds difficult is it something I or a local gunsmith can do? Any chance ther are some specs or prints on the trigger move?

I looked at the forum post you attached and it doesn't seem to indicate where in Michigan the shoot is. I'm getting old and don't see as well or I am beyond help ;-)

It's really not as hard as it sounds. Check the "Tech Section" sub-forums for more info. There is a "how-to" in there somewhere. Also, there's tons of info on conversions in general. If you have 2 hands and basic tools, you can do it :D .

As far as the shoot, it says "At the Pit In Lapeer". Does Lapeer ring any bells? I've never been to Michigan, so I have no idea exactly where it is. Your best bet is to send Juggernaut a message (the guy who start the thread I linked to), and ask for the details. He'll help you out.