Hey new member here. I am going to my gun dealer this Saturday to do all the FFL transfer BS so I can get my Saiga from some online dealer. I have a few questions though

1. Can anyone give me a quick run down and explanation of all I need to know to do this? Also anything I will need to take with me?

2. Where are the cheapest 7.62x39's? I definitely want the standard AK caliber. I have seen the prices range from about $330- $370. Anyone got better than that?

All help is appreciated. I HAVE to get a rifle before these elections and this will be my only one. Please help if you can, I need to get this done ASAP.

I'm sorry I'm very new to these Saiga's and I am exploring all the links around the site and I found that I can get an ETAC Saiga conversion for $450? Wow, that seems like a really good deal. I don't know if I can use regular AK mags with it though. I want to be able to use regular AK style mags with my Saiga because my friend has a ton of those and I have built up a good amount of training with them. Sorry if I seem scatterbrained. Any help and suggestions/experiences welcome!

So you drive up to your FFL dealers house at your scheduled time,... if you get the address right, then you get out and knock on the door. then you go inside with your drivers liscence the FFL transfer fee Cash or check. Then you fill out the form. then the FFL dealer calls the FBI, the CIA, and George Bush and asks them if there is any reason you and your new gun should not be together forever,

...if they say you are good to go, you hand over the fee, he/she hands over your new gun/rifle, and you can leave at that point if you want after signing you have received your item.

Just kidding about the FBI, CIA and Bush, but they do make a call, just like at the gun shop, and the paperwork is about the same.

You do that part yourself by following the steps here on the forum.

If you add some US parts to meet 922R compliance, you can use US made 30 round Magazines made for a Saiga without the physical conversion/Modification, drilling and moving the TCG forward(trigger control group) and still fit stock saiga magazines.

Is that your question?

The conversion is legal ,.. and you CAN do it yourself,... otherwise you have to have someone like tromix or Viking Kitty or Rifle dynamics do the conversion work for you ,.. which requires you sending the rifle to them, and then they send it back to your FFL and you pay the fee again and go pick it up again,..

If you just want a bullet guide installed,.. lok up Dinzag, he is like a legend for that

Edited by Gas Giant

Thanks for the replies.

I want to convert to a folding stock and be able to use regular AK magazines. I want to use the new Tapco magazines. This is going to be my "everything" rifle so thats why I want it to be a folder so I can transport it easily and things like that. So in short

1. I want to use regular AK magazines

2. I want to install a folding stock (and PG and all that other essential stuff)

So for #1 I just need a dinzagarms bullet guide?

For #2 I can do all that myself or it has to go to a gunsmith?

I sent my first Saiga to be converted and it was shipped right back to me, no need for a FFL because there's no transfer of ownership taking place.

Dinzag is the man! He sells a bullet guide, or even a bullet guide kit if you need it for Saigas that will allow the gun to accept regular AK mags. You just need to know if your gun has a round or flat trunnion.

http://dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/x39rtk.html

x39_bg_rtk.jpg

x39_bg_round_inst.jpg

I'll be getting one as soon as the itch to improve my 7.62 comes around again. Probably will be sooner than I think because I've got my eyes on a 75 round drum.

If you know how to use a dremel and a drill you can do it yourself. I was intimidated at first but after I took on the task of my 7.62 I can't wait to do another. It only took me about 4 hours in my garage. A lot of guys get it done on the kitchen table.

And I recommend the ACE folder with the internal block and don't forget the sling mount:

060.jpg

087.jpg

084.jpg

Edited by ernestmayhand
Very nice! I was already wanting to go with the Ace stock and voila, you have pretty much the setup that I want.

Thank you for the reply and I will follow that advice! Thanks again.

Also, you'll have to cut off the rear tang to do the ACE internal block. This also is no big deal with the right cutting wheel and some filing to finish it up nicely. Some use the ACE external block which in my opinion doesn't look so good but the pro is that your receiver isn't permanently altered.

2. Where are the cheapest 7.62x39's? I definitely want the standard AK caliber. I have seen the prices range from about $330- $370. Anyone got better than that?

See if there are any gun shows coming to your area. I bought my new Saiga 7.62x39 16" barrel at a local gun show for $260 tax included.

I thought I had seen one website that had them for around $250 but I didnt bookmark it, sorry.

Dont know if you can find the same sort of deal in your area but it would be worth trying. By the time you pay the $330 price then shipping and the fee your FFL holder will charge you will probably have $380 or so in it. I know most FFL holders in my area charge between $20 and $30 for a transfer then you can figure around $30 or maybe more for shipping.

Not sure where you live but here is one company that does gun shows.................

http://cegunshows.com/

They have at least 4 shows within a 30 minute drive from me every year.

Edited by kg4chm