New Saiga-12 Owner,Setting Gas System, Sights

I am new to the forum having just purchased a Saiga-12 recently.

I am a bit confused regarding setting the gas system. The manual that came with my Saiga-12 clearly states that "Position 2 is for Magnum, heavy loads. Position 1 is for non Magnum loads." My Saiga came set on Position 2. This seems ass backwards to what is in the posts. So far I have only put about 10 rds ea of Remington 00BK and Win Ranger 00BK and 20 rds of Win AA Super-Handicap 7.5 shot. All these rds were 2 3/4. All rds cycled with no problems. I have read that having the gas setting wrong can damage the gun, so what is correct?

I have upgraded to the TAPCO stock with the SAW grip but still have the stock iron sights. My Saiga is shooting low and right. I have figured out how to adjust the front sight (no thanks to the manual). I have tried all the way up and the pattern is tight but still low. I have not figured out how to adjust left/right. Suggestions?

I am new to the forum having just purchased a Saiga-12 recently.

Welcome and congratulations on your new Saiga.

I am a bit confused regarding setting the gas system. The manual that came with my Saiga-12 clearly states that "Position 2 is for Magnum, heavy loads. Position 1 is for non Magnum loads." My Saiga came set on Position 2. This seems ass backwards to what is in the posts. So far I have only put about 10 rds ea of Remington 00BK and Win Ranger 00BK and 20 rds of Win AA Super-Handicap 7.5 shot. All these rds were 2 3/4. All rds cycled with no problems. I have read that having the gas setting wrong can damage the gun, so what is correct?

Yes, use the lowest gas setting that will cycle the firearm to save wear and tear. I and other have also found that polishing the interior parts will minimize the gas necessary to make the firearm function.

I have upgraded to the TAPCO stock with the SAW grip but still have the stock iron sights. My Saiga is shooting low and right. I have figured out how to adjust the front sight (no thanks to the manual). I have tried all the way up and the pattern is tight but still low. I have not figured out how to adjust left/right. Suggestions?

You must use a punch to drift the rear sight back and forth for windage correction. Be prepared to use a good pit of force to get it to move. I am not sure which Tapco stock you are using but the AR Carbine style of stock causes a low cheek weld when employed on AK type firearms, this could be exacerbating your low grouping problems. This is compounded by the very short sighting radius of the factory sights. Try building up the stock with pieces of neoprene mouse pad and duct tape as a temporary solution to determine if a better cheek weld helps your sighting problem.

HTH.

Yes, use the lowest gas setting that will cycle the firearm to save wear and tear. I and other have also found that polishing the interior parts will minimize the gas necessary to make the firearm function.

Bill is correct, use setting "1" for everything. If it wont cycle on 1, then try "2".

Thanks for the helpful hints.

I agree that I need to use the lowest gas setting. How to set mine is the problem. The manual that came with my Saiga-12 clearly states that "Position 2 is for Magnum, heavy loads. Position 1 is for non Magnum loads." This seems to be the reverse of what everyone says in the forum. Any ideas how to clear this confusion up? If I understand correctly, I can depress the locking detent and turn the gas nut clockwise until it will no longer move. This should be all the way in closing off most, if not all the gas. Then rotate the gas nut counter clockwise to the first number be it #1 or #2 and this should be the lowest gas setting. Agreed?

Also regarding sight adjustment, do I move the rear sight to the right (if looking from the rear of the gun) to move the shot pattern to the left?

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the helpful hints.

I agree that I need to use the lowest gas setting. How to set mine is the problem. The manual that came with my Saiga-12 clearly states that "Position 2 is for Magnum, heavy loads. Position 1 is for non Magnum loads." This seems to be the reverse of what everyone says in the forum. Any ideas how to clear this confusion up? If I understand correctly, I can depress the locking detent and turn the gas nut clockwise until it will no longer move. This should be all the way in closing off most, if not all the gas. Then rotate the gas nut counter clockwise to the first number be it #1 or #2 and this should be the lowest gas setting. Agreed?

Also regarding sight adjustment, do I move the rear sight to the right (if looking from the rear of the gun) to move the shot pattern to the left?

Bump I have the same exact question... Which one is the "low gas setting"? It seems that it would be screwed all the way in until you can't put it in any further then back it out to the first detent. Which in my case is the "2" setting. Which is the lowest setting?