Removing threaded section of the barrel?

Hi all.

I've looked through the threads here and couldn't find this topic, so I thought I'd ask it. Please forgive me if it's been covered somewhere else.

I believe that the Saiga 12s with the threaded barrel have the muzzle device count as a foreign part as far as 922r goes. Maybe it's the actual threaded section of the muzzle or maybe it's whatever you screw onto the barrel, I'm not sure.

Regardless, if I were to have an IZ 109 with the threaded barrel, then have the barrel shortened to 18", thereby removing the threaded section, would I eliminate the 14th foreign part? I believe it would, but I wasn't sure. I'd have to look and see if it would remove all the threads by taking an inch off the end. Otherwise it would be a Short Barreled Shotgun, and I don't want to violate any laws. If possible, I'd probably want the barrel a tad OVER 18" just to be safe anyway. I'm just trying to reduce the 922r parts count.

Thanks

Corbin

Edited by Corbin

You are confusing the old and extinct "Assault Weapons Ban" with 922R which is still very much current law. There is nothing in 922r about "threaded barrels."

There is language about "muzzle attachments" however. The attachment is part of your parts count, not the threads.

But this is debatable, depending on who you ask. Some folks do not like to count the little thread protector.

Simply because "A Saiga shotgun threaded for chokes..." has a choke or a thread protector. In the opinion of some, myself included, that is a "muzzle device" under the law.

If you want to reduce your parts count for 922R, just take it off.

It's not like a pregnant gal! It can just be unscrewed.