Turbo1889 ::: Reloading Question

Yes, Clay1003, I have found a way to reload the Russian Golden & Silver Bear hulls which are supposably non-reloadable. The hulls I've been reloading are steel not brass so I don't know for absolute sure it will work with your brass ones. Basically It's really simple I just drill out the back of the metal hulls with the correct size drill bits so that the hulls will accept a standard "209" type shotgun primer. I use a drill press for both speed and precision but it can be done with just a simple drill as well. Here is what you do:

2008-03-30_160004_410_Metalic_Shell_Primer_Conversion_and_Loading.GIF

2008-10-30_223331_410_Metalic_Shell_Primer_Conversion_and_Loading_2.JPG

2008-10-30_223428_410_Metalic_Shell_Primer_Conversion_and_Loading_3.JPG

And that's about all there is too it. Now if your going to use a hand drill instead of a drill press then drill through first with a 7/32" drill bit and then finish off with a smooth pass with the 15/64" drill bit. The 1/64" smaller bit would be used for the first pass so that minor misalignments and drill bit chatter will be removed by the second bit. In adition your brass hulls probably have a thicker wall then the steel ones I use so it probably would work best with a 0.430" nitro over-powder rather then the larger 0.450" card I use/recommend for the steel hulls.

Yes, Clay1003, I have found a way to reload the Russian Golden & Silver Bear hulls which are supposably non-reloadable. The hulls I've been reloading are steel not brass so I don't know for absolute sure it will work with your brass ones. Basically It's really simple I just drill out the back of the metal hulls with the correct size drill bits so that the hulls will accept a standard "209" type shotgun primer. I use a drill press for both speed and precision but it can be done with just a simple drill as well. Here is what you do:

2008-03-30_160004_410_Metalic_Shell_Primer_Conversion_and_Loading.GIF

2008-10-30_223331_410_Metalic_Shell_Primer_Conversion_and_Loading_2.JPG

2008-10-30_223428_410_Metalic_Shell_Primer_Conversion_and_Loading_3.JPG

And that's about all there is too it. Now if your going to use a hand drill instead of a drill press then drill through first with a 7/32" drill bit and then finish off with a smooth pass with the 15/64" drill bit. The 1/64" smaller bit would be used for the first pass so that minor misalignments and drill bit chatter will be removed by the second bit. In adition your brass hulls probably have a thicker wall then the steel ones I use so it probably would work best with a 0.430" nitro over-powder rather then the larger 0.450" card I use/recommend for the steel hulls.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Turbo1889. If you're also reloading the Gold Bear hulls you've answered my question. Sportman's Guide says the Golden Bears are not reloadable. As per your advice, I'll treat both the Golden Bear and Silver Bear the same. Thanks again.

Clay