Woohoo, got my skeleton stock!

I decided I wanted to get the skeleton stock on my Saiga .223, but was a bit turned off by the price. I found a local guy on another forum who was selling one for $65, that he took off after he converted his rifle. He hadn't even fired it with that stock. I met him today and bought it.

Impressions:

1. This stock improves the handling of the gun in pretty much every way. It's faster to shoulder and bring on target, more comfortable, and easier to carry. It's also a LOT easier to rack because you can brace it under your armpit while cocking it.

2. The skeleton stock has a metal buttplate instead of the plastic one that the normal stock comes with. This means I should be able to drill it to mount a Limbsaver pad.

3. The cheekpad has 2 locking positions: Right horizontal (out of the way) and angled slightly to the left (right-handed shooting position). There is no locking position for left-handed shooters like myself. However, I do not anticipate this being a problem as it is still very solid when rotated to a left-handed shooting position.

To clear up a common misconception, putting this stock on a rifle does not automatically make it need to comply with 922®. 922® only comes into play if the rifle would be banned from import in that configuration under the guidelines of section 925. Because some Saigas ARE imported with this stock, it passes the 925 check and is thus exempt from 922®. However, if you wish to use a high-capacity magazine with it, you now have an extra part to deal with as the stock also counts as a foreign pistol grip.

Pics will be posted upon request.

SaigaSkeleton.jpg

Better pics will have to wait until tomorrow. I have ordered a Leapers 3-9x40 illuminated scope for it. The BSA red dot is mostly just for testing to see how it sights. This is going to be my javelina rifle.

Edited by Mike the Wolf