mak-90 conversion to ak-47 style

New to your venue - so forgive me in advance if I do this incorrectly! I have an opportunity to purchase a 1993 post-ban mak-90 for $450. The receiver is marked with a serial number 9350xxx, consistant with a 93 import. The receiver is a milled receiver. It also, has had the original thumb hole post-ban stock replaced with a black plastic ak-47 style furniture set. The end of the receiver is slanted, and the sides of the receiver have a milled cut-out groove about 3/4 inches wide, by 2-3 inches long. The barrel has been lathed in such a way that it is not smooth. Rather the barrel has been cut in such a way that it has the apearance of tiny rings cut into it. Imported by KSI out of Pomona, Calif. The receiver finish is good. The general over all condition of the rifle is good, used. It is marked "sporter" with 386 in an oval. The bolt number matches the serial number - but I've not had a chance to look at the internal parts.

I do not know if this rifle is legal or 922® compliant. I know that the furniture is not correct for a post-ban.

QUESTIONS: being this is a milled receiver - and considering making this rifle 922® compliant - what number of parts am I dealing with here?

QUESTION: What parts are replaceable in a milled receiver mak-90 that would make the rifle compliant?

QUESTION: what parts are typically changed out - that are trouble free and do not require a smithy?

QUESTION: is $450 plus tax a good price for this rifle?

QUESTION: suspecting that by chance - the rifle was made 922® compliant - when I open her up to inspect it, how can I tell if an internal part is an original import part or a USA made part?

QUESTION: How many imported parts must I replace with USA made parts to make the rifle 922® compliant.

The magazine attached to the rifle is a 30 round mag. It did not have the weight or appearance of being an after market magazine. But- then again - I know little of these things. Is there a special style of magazine that will only fit a milled receiver?

Is having a 30 rd mag, illegal?

Could this magazine be one of thos parts that could be replaced with a USA made mag - to complete the 922 complance ruling?

Are there specific magazines that are only intended for a milled receivers?

Thank you for your input

If the black synthetic furniture you have is US compliant (922r), it should have "US" stamped into it somewhere, otherwise it's probably Bulgarian.

The milled receiver really makes no difference in 922r.

The milled receiver is slightly thicker in construction so you will need to use furniture that is made for it if you change the stock and HGs. It will be thinner than a regular stock where it goes into the receiver, and also be shorter than a stock for a stamped receiver.

If your receiver is not square on the back, you won't be able to use standard furniture and will need to contact Matt at Ironwood Designs if you want a wood stock that will fit....or customize one yourself. My pre ban Mak-90 came with a 'stamped', angle cut receiver, so I had to custom fit a regular wood AK stock to it.

Replaceable parts = (You need to replace at least 5 of these if the barrel is threaded)

1. Stock

2. HGs (both count as only one part)

3. PG

4. Hammer

5. Trigger

6. Disconnect

7. Gas Piston

8. Muzzle brake

9. Mag body

10. Follower

11. Floorplate

The ones I have highlighted in bold are what I replaced on mine, because I preferred to use imported wood furniture. I keep mags with at least two US parts (followers and floorplates) with it just to be damned sure there's no question.

Of these parts, the gas piston is the most difficult for a novice.

If you look closely at your gas piston, you should see a US stamp on it if it's been changed out.

Look closely at the hammer and trigger to see if they haves a "US" stamped anywhere on them. If not then look for a "C". If it has a "C", that's a Century Arms part, although it's quite shitty, it's a compliance part.

Any of these other parts that have already been replaced (IF) should have a "US" stamped on them.

$450 is a good price for that rifle.

Any AK mag should fit a milled receiver.

Any mag over ten rds is illegal to use in it unless it's 922R compliant.

You can buy US made AK mags that count as three parts towards compliance...or just buy replacement floorplates and followers for regular steel AK mags like I did.

Welcome to Saiga-12 :smoke:

If the black synthetic furniture you have is US compliant (922r), it should have "US" stamped into it somewhere, otherwise it's probably Bulgarian.

The milled receiver is slightly thicker in construction so you will need to use furniture that is made for it if you change the stock and HGs. It will be thinner than a regular stock where it goes into the receiver, and also be shorter than a stock for a stamped receiver.

If your receiver is not square on the back, you won't be able to use standard furniture and will need to contact Matt at Ironwood Designs if you want a wood stock that will fit....or customize one yourself. My pre ban Mak-90 came with a 'stamped', angle cut receiver, so I had to custom fit a regular wood AK stock to it.

Replaceable parts = (You need to replace at least 5 of these if the barrel is threaded)

1. Stock

3. PG

4. Hammer

5. Trigger

6. Disconnect

7. Gas Piston

8. Muzzle brake

9. Mag body

10. Follower

11. Floorplate

The ones I have highlighted in bold are what I replaced on mine, because I preferred to use imported wood furniture. I keep mags with at least two US parts (followers and floorplates) with it just to be damned sure there's no question.

If you look closely at your gas piston, you should see a US stamp on it if it's been changed out.

Look closely at the hammer and trigger to see if they haves a "US" stamped anywhere on them. If not then look for a "C". If it has a "C", that's a Century Arms part, although it's quite shitty, it's a compliance part.

Any of these other parts that have already been replaced (IF) should have a "US" stamped on them.

You can buy US made AK mags that count as three parts towards compliance...or just buy replacement floorplates and followers for regular steel AK mags like I did.

Cobra 76 - thank you for the reply. What is a "hg" that you mention in your reply. what is "PG" that I read in other postings? If my present stock set is not marked "US" - I take it that it counts as an "import part" - where I'd either have to change it or replace a different import part with a US made?

The rough cut milling of the barrel that I described as "tiny rings" - is that common? is it anything that I should be concerned about??

The back end of the receiver has two angles to it,. It is not cut with just one angle. There is a straight cut, vertical, and then about an 1 1/2 down - it cuts inward to complete the second angle. Is this what everyone means by an angle cut receiver?? I imagine this cut is typical for the milled receivers - yes??

thanks again

1. Stock

3. PG

4. Hammer

5. Trigger

6. Disconnect

7. Gas Piston

8. Muzzle brake

9. Mag body

10. Follower

11. Floorplate

Cobra 76 - thank you for the reply. What is a "hg" that you mention in your reply. what is "PG" that I read in other postings? If my present stock set is not marked "US" - I take it that it counts as an "import part" - where I'd either have to change it or replace a different import part with a US made?

The rough cut milling of the barrel that I described as "tiny rings" - is that common? is it anything that I should be concerned about??

The back end of the receiver has two angles to it,. It is not cut with just one angle. There is a straight cut, vertical, and then about an 1 1/2 down - it cuts inward to complete the second angle. Is this what everyone means by an angle cut receiver?? I imagine this cut is typical for the milled receivers - yes??

thanks again

Your rifle was made at the 386 plant in China, it is a polytechnologies/norinco rifle. Polytec is a very large Chinese multi-conglomerate responsible for the Chink army's weaponry, tanks, rockets you name it. They also control Norinco. The barrel 'rings' you speak of are machine lathe marks. They are not necessarily rough cut. You must remember these are military grade rifles turned out in large numbers but the bore and chamber are hard chromed and altough you must replace them, they posses heat treated FCG {fire control group} parts for sustained full auto that are some of the best I have seen. There are machine marks on the receiver as well. These are some of the best AKs available. Very thick receivers and thick barrels. The easiest way to make this 922, is replace the hammer, trigger, disconnector, muzzle brake and stock, handguards and pistol grip. This will leave you with six imported parts and nine parts with a non- US made magazine. ACE- LTD has a receiver block that will fit and you can make it folder or use many stock configurations.